Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
estepona1999
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Traveller windscreen rubber/finisher

Post by estepona1999 »

I am restoring my 1958 traveller and I am almost ready to fit the new screen rubber and screen.My dilemma is do I fit the rubber that is designed for my metal chrome insert/surround or do I fit the one for the plastic surround.I have been told that I should fit the one for the plastic surround as the metal surround is almost impossible to refit.Is this true or is there anything that would make the original one be fitted ie a special tool? Thankyou,Roger
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller windscreen rubber/finisher

Post by ManyMinors »

I prefer the look of the stainless strips on my earlier car so I bought the correct rubber for it when I fitted a new one. It was a few years ago now but I bought the rubber from COH Baines and didn't have any real difficulties fitting it all. I didn't have any special tools. In my experience, the plastic strip of the later cars looks tatty after a while.
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Thanks for your reply,I do really want to re fit the stainless trim in the correct rubber,so I will give it a go.Where are COH Baines,do you have any contact details please,I have never heard of them ? Thanks, Roger
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Found them,thanks again, Roger
jpallis001
Minor Friendly

Post by jpallis001 »

I am about to try to fit the original stainless trim pieces into the windscreen rubber on my 1957 minor. Any tips, suggestions or advice? I have already fitted the screen into the car but now notice that the original manual describes fitting the stainless trim into the rubber before fitting the screen into the car? Particularly Interested in advice on fitting trim to rubber with the screen in the car. Or do I remove it and follow the manual?