Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Big Jim
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Hood Frame Measurements

Post by Big Jim »

Hi would some one please give me some measurements of the early hood frame ( the one with less hoops ) ?
I would like the measurements from the front header rail back to each hoop down the center line

Thanks Jim

RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hood Frame Measurements

Post by RobThomas »

TBH, I don't think there is any fixed answer. Once it is bolted to the rear pivots and the header rail is latched down then any spacing is fixed by the dimensions of the bars and could vary, particularly the rear one which has to be moved to fit the individual hood cover. Mine might stretch out by over 1/2 inch when I tighten the header rail wingnuts.
Cardiff, UK
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Thanks for the reply . I ask because I want to use a non standard frame and want to know if it anywhere near the stock frame dimensions.

Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

It would be really useful to me to get some measurements .
Thanks

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Measuring back from the little V in the long metal trim piece covering the lip at the back of the windscreen...

41cm,

45.5cm,

51cm

That is from the V to the centre of the next rail and from each centre backwards. This is with a tight hood and all dimensions change if the frame is slack or the hood is warm.

Hope this helps. Couldn't get the hood up with the car in the garage due to shelving in the way. :D
Cardiff, UK
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Thanks Rob that helps a lot.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

hood frame.jpg
hood frame.jpg (157.81 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
You're welcome. The hood is back down now but I can now get the car out easily. If you need pics or more detailed dimensions I can get them for you. That last dimension is totally dependent on the position of the seam in the hood and whether you want the rail to be in front of or behind the seam. I stuck it just behind so you might get it to fit 2cm further forwards.

This is the original factory hood frame. The ESM one is slightly different with the first tubular rail being a different shape and thus a different dimension. I have one of these going spare because it changes the shape of the hood if you use it.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

hud2.jpg
hud2.jpg (170.55 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
hud3.jpg
hud3.jpg (182.82 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Cardiff, UK
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

That might work good . I want to try to achieve a removable hood . I have a pack away hood frame from an MGB. The measurements are pretty close although it does have an extra hoop in the middle . I intend to use the ordinal minor original rear separate hoop and the Minor header rail not attached to the frame like on the MGB. The width is perfect but it will need to be made higher.
Jim