Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ceejay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Convertible hood colour ?

Post by Ceejay »

HI all,

I have a 1969 convertible. One of the very last to be built I think.

I want to replace the hood on it.

I have read somewhere that all convertibles had red hoods other than for one particular body colour which had some other colour hood.

I may be quite mistaken though.

My car is currently light blue in colour but I may change the colour of the car later on.

What were the original colours of hoods fitted to convertibles ?
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Convertible hood colour ?

Post by Budgie »

I have a 1969 factory convertible and it has a cream colour hood with maroon B paintwork. The paintwork is the original colour but I'm not sure if the hood was cream from the factory though as it's not the original one from new.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Ceejay: According to my database (backed up by Ray Newell's book) your light blue (officially Smoke Grey) car would have left the factory with a Pearl Grey (very very pale beige-ish grey hood). Black or dark blue replacements are comparatively common these days. Of course if you're considering a colour change, I'm pretty sure you can get a bespoke hood in the colour of your choice.

Budgie: As above. My database and Ray Newell's book both indicate a Pearl Grey hood for a Maroon 'B' car. Black, tan or red (IMHO very smart with a red interior) replacements are comparatively common these days.

From 1967 dark red hoods were apparently optional on white or black cars.

Hope this helps
1956 4-door called Max
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Thanks for that palace bear nice to know as the last owner replaced the red vinyl interior with cream leather so I'm assuming he changed the hood colour for cream to match the inside. It does look rather nice though. My first minor was a two door 1968 maroon B saloon with the original red vinyl interior so I guessed the original colour of my tourer was red vinyl but had no idea of the hood colour from new.