How to identify month / year of Manufacture?

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TTO640H
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

How to identify month / year of Manufacture?

Post by TTO640H »

My car identification number is MA2S5D which I understand, then 1268489.
The original number plate was TTO640H, indicating after 1st August 1969.
Last Morris Minor sedan was 1288377 in Nov 1970.
Does anyone know any information to identify month / year of Manufacture?
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How to identify month / year of Manufacture?

Post by palacebear »

I think the only way to definitely pinpoint the date of manufacture is by obtaining a Heritage certificate. Your reg. number is a Nottingham issue, officially used between December 1969 and May 1970. Your chassis number dates the car to sometime between June 1969 and November 1970 (rather a broad window I'm afraid). Given that sales were slowing down by 1968/69 its possible that there was a long gap between your car being built and finally finding its first keeper.

May I respectfully suggest that for your security its not the best idea to post your chassis and reg.no. in full on the forum. It is possible for them to be electronically harvested for fraudulent purposes :(
1956 4-door called Max
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How to identify month / year of Manufacture?

Post by Mark Wilson »

My Traveller was only registered in July 71 (J), but its chassis number ending with 1286*** presumably predated the end of saloon production in November 70 (although it was built at Adderley Park where the numbers may have been in batches and not in correct sequence). You are lucky in that you should be able to get a Heritage certificate - all records for Adderley Park Travellers got binned when it was shut down :(