Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

NMP plate (again??)

Post by palacebear »

Having owned Max my Minor for 18 months, it was only yesterday I discovered he still carries an NMP plate, correctly placed near the n/s/f bumper mount. Along with the rest of the engine bay it's been over-painted with vast amounts of black stone-chip, and has a section of re-routed wiring loom laid on top of it - that's my excuse for not noticing it earlier! :lol:
Can anyone please tell me... does the plate carry any identifying info (numbers etc) which are unique to each individual body, or is it simply a manufacturers' plate ('Nuffield Metal Products woz 'ere' !) ?
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: NMP plate (again??)

Post by firedrake1942 »

Couple of posts with it in. I have e-mailed and PM'd Taupe several times as he was making new ones to replace old rusty / missing ones, but to no avail.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67060&p=608878&hili ... te#p608878

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66782&p=605826&hili ... te#p605826

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62776&p=600463&hili ... te#p600463

If anyone else has attempted / produced blanks of the NMP plate I would happily sell a kidney........
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The plate is embossed with Nuffield Metal Products Ltd
Birmingham NMP England
The plate in question is unique to the body and has two number stamped upon it - the front number is the unique body pressing number and is distinct from the chassis number.
Looking down onto the plate the L/H or rear number is the same as the O/S plate attached to the body at the top of the scuttle but the R/H or front number is not the same as the N/S scuttle plate - or at least mine is not and the NMP plate on the tie plate and the scuttle plate(s) on my Minor have never been removed from new.
Many of the plates attached to the tie plate have been lost over the years when the L/H tie plate has corroded away and or the tie plate replaced.
To me there is little point in replacing the NMP plate unless both original numbers are known.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Thanks for the info Phil. I'll try and get in there with a torch to see if I can read it. I have a cataract at the mo, so peering downwards into the engine bay is a bit challenging! :roll:
1956 4-door called Max
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Same number repeated on firewall, the prog number NOT the individual id number.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just to be clear - one of the NMP numbers is repeated on the screwed on plate at the N/S top of the firewall - it is not stamped into the firewall.