Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New Locking Fuel Cap

Post by Rabbitt »

I purchased one of the recognised common locking type fuel caps and either I must be missing something obvious ... or ?
I looked at the product pictures before buying, and even at that time I wondered about the "screws" for the adapter portion as to where they would screw in to ! ! ! ....and assumed there would be another part to it for the nozzle.
The product is advertised as fitting Series II fuel nozzles - could someone who has used it advise further ?
Attachments
cap.gif
cap.gif (20.67 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Fuel filler 2.jpg
Fuel filler 2.jpg (159.46 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Fuel filler 1.jpg
Fuel filler 1.jpg (142.28 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Locking Fuel Cap

Post by simmitc »

The normal fitting method is (a) remove the old cap - you can safely leave the chain hanging in the pipe in case you want to use it at a later time. (b) Place the adapter (without screws) over the pipe and turn the adapter as if it was a cap - it has the same lugs that engage with the top of the pipe. (c) fit the screws - these stop the adapter being turned. The new cap now engages with the adapter and locks in place with the key.
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

So in terms of the screws...they just "wedge" themselves up against the outer wall of the nozzle ? Just seemed a bit feeble to me as a retainer..must work I guess...
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

It's a VERY long time ago now, but I seem to remember the same fixing method when I got a Unipart locking cap for an early Mini
1956 4-door called Max
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Just fitted it ...seems OK...I didnt want to mess with it too much in case it wasnt compatible..the screws in fact do simply wedge themselves against the nozzle body. I thought there was something more substantial than that but it does the job. One thing I did find was best to smear some dry lube on the screws as they wedge quite tightly and they do create small grooves in the outside if your fuel inlet ..and use the correct PK screwdriver...