Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Painting floor inside

Post by biomed32uk »

So my little job of welding the seat mounting lates on has escalated, as ever.

I always knew the interior floor pan could do with some attention, but hadn't realised how poor a job had been made of it.

Looks like when the floor pans were replaced they were left bare for a while, and then had topcoat blown over them without proper cleaning or priming. So plenty of surface rust around, the paint is just flaking and peeling off, so a bare metal job is quite easy.

I have also ripped the seam sealer off around the edges as that has not been done properly either.

So the rust will get some FE123 treatment over it, a coat of Epoxy Mastic around the edges, seam sealed and then a coat of Epoxy mastic over the whole lot. Is it worth a light coat of stone chip over the floor and then the top coat, or just the top coat ?. I quite like the effect of the stone chip and think it looks quite smart.

Wondering what others are doing.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Painting floor inside

Post by les »

Stonechip on the floor was an original feature, then painted. Can't remember the make I used but it replicated the finish well.
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG (64.51 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Thanks Les, think that will be the way I go.

I have had good results with the Tetrosyl stuff out of an aerosol, and I have a bottle of Gravitex in the workshop for use with a proper gun, also works very well. My gearbox cover is done in Tetrosyl and then body coloured.

Just have to make sure anything I don't want it on is well masked up, as from the Schutz gun the Gravitex goes everywhere, and it also sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Not all Stonechip will be waterproof. Worth putting a paint layer down before the stonechip and then another on top? "Raptor" is a good alternative product that can be coloured to match the paintwork.
Cardiff, UK
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

It's going to get a coat of Epoxy Mastic on the bare metal, which once cured will get a light coat of stone chip on.

I was then going to give it a coat of tractol, which is really good paint. I have sprayed a small piece of sheet up this afternoon in celly to send so the tractol can be colour matched for me.

Been cleaning the paint off of the toe board this afternoon, thats a good place to stop where it kicks back towards the windscreen, and has been painted just as badly as the rest of the floor, and always has looked a general mess. There is some original paint properly adhered to some of it, so a tin of paint stripper has been ordered to finish that off.

Handbrake lever has been stripped and a nice coat of gloss black enamel
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Fingolfin »

Is "tractol" intended for farm use (e.g. on tractors)? Here in the States we have "tractor paint" that is supposed to be very tough-wearing, but I haven't used it.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes I believe it is, its a very durable machinery enamel and ideal for a floor pan. The underside of my gearbox cover has a coat of stonechip with black Tractol on and that's as good as the day I did it three years ago.

The supplier can match it up to any colour, so I have sent them a piece painted up in the colour of my car.