Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
FAO51
MMOC Member: No

Split Windscreen Seal install

Post by FAO51 »

Helllo,

Just joined- first post, I read all the windscreen posts I could find but just needed to confirm what diameter string to use inside rubber seal to pull it over bodywork lip?
Theres a lot to choose from and Im guessing between dia 1mm to 4mm and does it matter in your experience?
The chrome finisher is another size diameter by the look of it?

Its for a series II split screen with a new seal from morris parts supplier but using the original glass (toughened).

Thanks
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Split Windscreen Seal install

Post by RobThomas »

I used waxed plastic-coated steel washing line material. It has strength so it doesn't snap, has a rounded body so it doesn't snag and tear the rubber and it is waxed enough to let it flow against the rubber.
Cardiff, UK
FAO51

Post by FAO51 »

Thanks Rob. Do you know if the seal has an up or down side to it as it goes in. Ive seen pics of the seam on the seal under the centre pillar but unable to see if it was 12 oclock or 6 oclock position if you know what I mean. Im having a lot of greif keeping the seal on the car as it wants to unravel. Cant get the top of the glass seal to get close to the roof lip during string pull due to some restriction.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Mine is at the top. Laying the "snake" in a bucket of hot water for a while softens it enough to let you lay it down without kinks so that you can see which way it is meant to go round the glass. I fitted mine to the glass without a spacer in the middle, fitted the whole lot from the inside, popped the lip over and then moved the glass into place.
Cardiff, UK
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Oh this brings back memories - not all good ones!
Wrote my two penneth on this a few years ago and did mine in the summer, I certainly remember it being warm which I think is important when it comes to rubber flexibility.

Alan