Wings

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MGM
MMOC Member: No

Wings

Post by MGM »

Hi all, I am new to the world of Morris Minors and have just purchased my first one, a 1958 four door saloon. It requires a pair of rear wings and I wondered which ones to fit? Should it have indicators fitted above the stop lights? Mine has at the moment but would like to go original. Also mine has the combined side lights / indicators fitted to the front wings, I’m sure these aren’t correct but I aren’t sure what is! It still has the original trafficators fitted which I would prefer to get working again. I will get some pictures posted when I can.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wings

Post by palacebear »

Welcone to our world! :)
I assume your car has the larger (1964 onwards) combined stop/tail/flasher lamp with amber lens above red lens in one unit. As originally built, your 1958 saloon should have the smaller red-lens stop/tail lamp (on a chrome plinth) at the rear. At the front it should have a white-lens side-lamp in a rubber body with a chrome bezel. There were two sizes of these made. The smaller one being used up to 1961 and a slightly larger one (to accommodate a twin-filament side/flasher bulb) approx 1962-64. Your car would have had the smaller one when new.

Have a look at http://www.potteries.mmoc.org.uk and follow the link to 'car identification' There are some close-ups of various light fittings and other handy info as well.

You'll probably get a lot of opinions regarding the use of trafficators in modern traffic conditions. I still rely on them, but fitted with brighter, self-flashing LED card units within.
They're still a mystery to most younger drivers and to be honest, if you're not looking for them, they're easy to miss! I would suggest retaining flashing indicators. To avoid drilling holes in new wings, you may consider fitting them to brackets that mount on the bumpers instead.
1956 4-door called Max
MGM

Post by MGM »

This is what I have at the moment. Thank you for the info, very helpful. Would you recommend eBay etc as the best place to source wings etc??
Attachments
BFB48455-C32C-45BC-9986-1C074E5A541F.jpeg
BFB48455-C32C-45BC-9986-1C074E5A541F.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 971 times
973F14E9-5C8F-45A9-B43B-3BFC55D5A518.jpeg
973F14E9-5C8F-45A9-B43B-3BFC55D5A518.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 971 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

What you have is the correct stop/tail lights with add-on flashers at the rear. At the front you have Minor side/indicator lamps from the 1964-1971 period. If you want 2nd hand wings, try eBay, gum tree etc but they'll probably be over-priced. Try club spares too as Bryan Gostling ('sparesman' on here) may be able to help.

Makes sure you get the correct wings! Those from Series MM / Series 2 cars are different!
1956 4-door called Max
MGM

Post by MGM »

Brilliant thank you again, I will have a look around. I am hoping to get cracking ASAP as I so want it on the road for summer!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Again, regarding wings. Try posting your needs in the 'For Sale / Wanted' section on here. Someone may be able to help.

Edit: I see you've already done that! :D

When you have time, give us some more pics too! We like to see what others are doing with their Moggies! :)
1956 4-door called Max
MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes I got the ad on quick! I’m really hoping I can get it useable for summer!