Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bob334uk
MMOC Member: No

removing air lock in cooling system

Post by bob334uk »

Hi
Has anyone got an easy solution to clearing air locks in heater pipes. Mine is a 1966 traveller with original engine. any advice would be useful. Bob
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Re: removing air lock in cooling system

Post by firehor5e »

dont try to do it facing down hill! Flush it out with a hose pipe.
1968 2 door 1275
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Normally the action from the pump would push the air out with the flow of coolant. Perhaps there is a restriction somewhere stopping the full flow of coolant and so air is not clearing. It could be the passage ways in the heater matrix are partially blocked. I would give the whole system a good flush out including a back flush before refilling and testing again.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I've always found that sustained engine revs for a while (e.g. taking the car for a short run) clears any air - even when the system has been totally drained. If it's not clearing, then it could be (as mentioned) that the matrix is blocked, or I suspect even more likely that the heater tap on the head is seriously restricting flow. That is easy enough to check by whipping the heater hose off with the engine running to check flow.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

when you run the engine do it with heater on and the radiator cap off once the thermostat is open it usually clears the air quickly , i usually keep an eye on the engine when its doing this and look for leaks when ive put the rad back on .
[sig]5641[/sig]