Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dorisandjack
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

split screen conversion?

Post by dorisandjack »

I've looked but unfortunately can't find any answers.. would it be possible to convert a standard '65 saloon to have a split windscreen as I've always preferred the look or would it take serious body modification?
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: split screen conversion?

Post by RobThomas »

Serious mods. You'd need to cut the roof about 12 inches back from the screen top and then unpick the seam under the back of the bonnet, all along the top of the bulkhead. The dashboard would also need to be cut away and the splitscreen dash top added.

Can be done, but I'd probably charge 4 figures for it.
Cardiff, UK
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Can be done, but I'd probably charge 4 figures for it........................................and I would charge the same for fitting the two screens because the aperture's would need to be exact,and highly likely not to be so :D :D :D :D :D
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you have "clap hands" wipers you can spoof the look with some stick on chrome trim, only those in the know will spot it isn't original.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ahhhh, cut the entire screen out in one piece. I have a Srs2 Tourer panel here like that. Sever the saloon roof about 12 inches back and cut right through the body just above the upper door hinge, across the bulkhead where the CKD cars were joined. You'd now have access to the welds to clean them up carefully.

Unpick the seam where the firewall joins the flat section under the bonnet tail and round the sides towards the bottom of the rain gutter. Take off the remnant of the inside vertical heelboard.

There is a good video of the Molenaar factory building up Minors that gives a good clue as to how they were built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmqyDnEaR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNaz8S-p2o

And if you ever wondered how they made engines... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieF3d_YBUh4
Cardiff, UK
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I would go with MarkyB's sugggestion - and, in fact, have seen one done exactly like that. But if you really want a split screen, then I would suggest buying a proper one, rather than butchering a later car........ :-?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

myoldjalopy wrote:I would go with MarkyB's sugggestion - and, in fact, have seen one done exactly like that. But if you really want a split screen, then I would suggest buying a proper one, rather than butchering a later car........ :-?
I agree!!