Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front seat back adjustment

Post by MollyOwner »

Hi folks,
I am having increasing difficulty with my back and as a result find it hard to drive our convertible any distance now. Not having been able to lay my hands on a seat with an adjustable rake for the back I am considering cutting the base of the rear frame and re welding it with about 5 degrees rearward tilt. Before that may try bumping the front up by 3/4".

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do, other than obtain new modern seats?

Thanks!!
:D
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front seat back adjustment

Post by Sleeper »

I Like to be able to see the road in front of me,the seat height when I bought mine was way too low,so just cut the rear bracket and welded in two pieces of tube 2" long,much better visibility and brought the back nearer the steering wheel.
Try it first with some wooden blocks to find your best height.

John :wink:
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

Thanks for that John.
I'm quite long in the body so height is ok for me. I just need to lean back a little more.
I had the same problem with Mk2 Jag seats but there was an option when new to order reclining seats and they can still be found. Appears not so with Minor tho :(

I realise I posted this in the wrong section - should have been Technical I guess. Oops
Cheers!

:D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you want to increase the rake of the back of the seat just put a couple of spacer blocks with the appropriate longer bolts under the front bar of the seat.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

5/16 BSF bolts, aren't they Phil? Not common but I got some long ones from Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... +bsf&rt=nc

If no bolts long enough, threaded bar (studding) might work.
Cardiff, UK
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

We put up with recovered (leather) standard Minor seats for many years and 1000's of miles across Europe, but a few years ago succumbed and bought the Newton Commercial 'Suffolk Recliner' seats for the front and recovered the rear in matching material. They are a bit expensive, but are very comfortable and Newton Commercial will supply them in any standard Minor seat colour, or a wide range of other colours.

I found that the rear of the squab was too high, and felt like I was being pitched forward, so cut off 2" from the back of the sub-frame and then welded it back together. They are still higher than a standard Minor seat, and very much more comfortable.

They now do a 'heated seat' option for £60 per seat, which seems quite reasonable (not available when we bought ours though).

The lead-time is around 4-6 weeks.

This is the link:

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/search/?key ... at&submit=
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

5/16" BSF it is.
In case you have purchased stainless steel bolts I would advise against using them because of the electrolysis effect between the two different metals.
I would advise using cap headed screws as they can be easily obtained in various lengths and the right tensile strength.
See link below:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSF-5-16-Cap- ... 8bbad75a71

Just pick the length you require.

MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

Thanks Phil. The advice and ebay link is really helpful.

Am planning to have our "Molly" fully restored by her 50th birthday in June. A little floor pan welding required and then cut and install the underlay and new carpets and repaint the sill covering strips - which are currently a horrid aluminium colour and so will repaint in Trafalgar Blue. Have a coolant sensor in so need to mount and wire in the gauge and then I shall be happily driving her around all Summer - with the seats securely tilted back a little of course! :D
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

RobThomas wrote:5/16 BSF bolts, aren't they Phil? Not common but I got some long ones from Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... +bsf&rt=nc

If no bolts long enough, threaded bar (studding) might work.
Thank you Rob
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

IslipMinor wrote:We put up with recovered (leather) standard Minor seats for many years and 1000's of miles across Europe, but a few years ago succumbed and bought the Newton Commercial 'Suffolk Recliner' seats for the front and recovered the rear in matching material. They are a bit expensive, but are very comfortable and Newton Commercial will supply them in any standard Minor seat colour, or a wide range of other colours.

I found that the rear of the squab was too high, and felt like I was being pitched forward, so cut off 2" from the back of the sub-frame and then welded it back together. They are still higher than a standard Minor seat, and very much more comfortable.

They now do a 'heated seat' option for £60 per seat, which seems quite reasonable (not available when we bought ours though).

The lead-time is around 4-6 weeks.

This is the link:

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/search/?key ... at&submit=
Thank you for the info Richard. I'm going to try the raising the front method first as I think that might just do the trick. Perhaps when my next big birthday comes round I may well need fully padded heated recliners!!
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

MollyOwner wrote:Thanks Phil. The advice and ebay link is really helpful.

Am planning to have our "Molly" fully restored by her 50th birthday in June. A little floor pan welding required and then cut and install the underlay and new carpets and repaint the sill covering strips - which are currently a horrid aluminium colour and so will repaint in Trafalgar Blue. Have a coolant sensor in so need to mount and wire in the gauge and then I shall be happily driving her around all Summer - with the seats securely tilted back a little of course! :D
You may well already be aware, but the 'horrid aluminium colour' of the sill covers is likely the original colour - they were painted silver, not body colour :wink:
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

Thanks for that Liam. No I wasn't aware of that. Mine have clearly been repainted by hand. I have seen some Minors with lovely stainless steel ones fitted.
I think mine will look quite smart sprayed in original colour.
Happy Motoring!
Charlie
MollyOwner
Minor Friendly

Post by MollyOwner »

To round this off... have just installed Saab 9000 leather recliners in the front. Headrest obviously a good safety feature. Incredibly comfortable. After the summer will change the leather colour from grey to light blue to match the rest of the car. Sorted! No more back ache.