Dying at the lights

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Dying at the lights

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All
After a 30 mile spirited drive ( well 60-65 mph on the motorway ) ,came to a stop at the lights and when I went to set off,the engine was just ticking over...no response to the throttle...at the next lights it died but re-started again OK, this had happened last time I took her out and so I cleaned the float chamber ( only specs of crud) checked the main jet and needle and everything seemed OK
Thinking out loud...no venting of the fuel tank causing fuel starvation? but surely I'd notice this more at higher revs?
I know very little of how the carb operates , so , is there something when warm/hot that will stop the needle body ( for want of a better word ) from lifting when the throttle plate is opened ??

Help..

John :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Dying at the lights

Post by myoldjalopy »

First thing, check you have enough oil in the dashpot...if all was well before, and it happened sudenly, it is most likely a simple fix. Clean the carb piston etc. and also check the fuel pump for delivery....
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

its more likely to be fuel vaporization in the pipe from pump to carb,try moving the pipe,or fitting a heat deflector of some sort between the exhaust maniforld and petrol pipe.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Sounds silly, but it is not mentioned in the original post, so worth checking the pump. Is the pump responding to the demand for fuel ? More rapid ticking should be heard. If you are playing with the fuel line. put the carb end in a bottle and see if the pump is pushing the fuel through. If it is, then the issue is further down at the carb or as the last poster says, vaporisation. It has only happened to me once on the M25 and it was a very hot day.

If the pump is not pushing fuel thru, check a) you have fuel in the tank ( Do NOT rely on the petrol guage) and b) give the pump some sharp taps. If no clicking is heard, check the wiring to the pump including the fuses and terminals, things do fall off esp with the old screw on types and they can also be intermittent.

Cleaning the pump points is often a simple solution in this case. In case of the dashpot suggestion, do NOT overfill it.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Many thanks,like the vaporisation idea as when stationary there will be no cooling going through the engine bay,as for the fuel pump,it is not electric but mechanical on the side of the block..but will give it a check anyway..

Thanks
john :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

What model is it ??
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Glad you have said the fuel pump is a mechanical one on the side of the block. In the past there has been a problem with engine heat transferring to the pump and causing vapour lock and you could get a spacer to place between them to alleviate it. I don't know if this is your problem but it fits the symptoms.

Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

firedrake1942 wrote:What model is it ??
'58 4 door,9M-U-H-1xxxxx
FAB1 / 5xxxxx

John
Last edited by Sleeper on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

amgrave wrote:Glad you have said the fuel pump is a mechanical one on the side of the block. In the past there has been a problem with engine heat transferring to the pump and causing vapour lock and you could get a spacer to place between them to alleviate it. I don't know if this is your problem but it fits the symptoms.
Looks like the prev. owner had the same problems,the fuel pump looks new as does the in-line filter, a half inch thick black spacer between the block and pump....

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

How common were those pumps instead of the electric / points SU ones ?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Sleeper: You may want to consider deleting
your chassis and engine numbers from your previous post ... for your own peace of mind :)
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Quite a lot on the forum in the past re mechanical fuel pumps and indeed 1958 Morrises are mentioned. It seems to be that some Minors had A series engines that were closer or perhaps intended for / transplanted from Austins which mainly had mechanical as opposed to SU electrical pumps. At least that's what I gather from the posts.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

palacebear wrote:Sleeper: You may want to consider deleting
your chassis and engine numbers from your previous post ... for your own peace of mind :)
Will do

Thanks
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Looks like the dash-pot is short on oil,could that be the cause?

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I did suggest checking that earlier. Not enough oil in the dashpot will mean hesitation and cutting out on trying to accelerate......fill up to the correct level and see if it makes any difference.......easy check to do.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Yes,sorry,thought i'd checked that last time I cleaned out the float bowl etc...bit busy at the moment but will report back..