Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
akuchanny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Help fitting BRM (rover 200) seats.

Post by akuchanny »

Hey guys. I have to replace my tatty and ripped up newton vinyl seats as the covers and webbing have died. Also never been too happy with how all the plastic sections of these have constantly fallen off and become lost and damaged. I have the newton adaptors of the seats.

I just picked up some leather BRM seats and the rear. I'm planning to recover my brittle and torn rear seat with the rear seat cover. But looking at the runners on BRM seats it doesn't look like a runner swap and useing the newton adaptors as I originally thought. Does anyone have any hints or guides as how to fit these seats to the moggy?

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. Ideally if I can switch the runners I'd be very happy.

Andy.
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
jollyroger
Minor Fan

Re: Help fitting BRM (rover 200) seats.

Post by jollyroger »

I have them fitted to my car. I will try and take a few pics. They are bolted to angle iron and then bolted to the floor.
[img][/img]
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

Thanks that would be great!
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
jollyroger
Minor Fan

Post by jollyroger »

There you go.
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4513 times
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4513 times
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4513 times
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 4513 times
[img][/img]
jollyroger
Minor Fan

Post by jollyroger »

The rear ones are right angle brackets from a seat belt mounting with a packer underneath bolted through the floor with a plate underneath. The front are angle iron dexion and bolted through the original holes.
[img][/img]
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

Thanks. That's definitely given me a good starting point. How did you deal with the inner rear bracket that bolts through the side?
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
jollyroger
Minor Fan

Post by jollyroger »

Bolted an angle bracket to it. The seat belt brackets are nice and strong too.
[img][/img]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Angle iron = Dexion - I would suggest that it is not the strongest of materials for this application.

akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

I am thinking if there is a way to just remove the whole runner assembly and use the newton frames, I have just realised that I have the under seat subwoofer under the passenger seat so mounting the seat that low would be an issue. Does anyone have any ideas?
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

So I have decided to take this route, although it is taking sometime.....

I have ground off the metal fixings that are welded to the runners of the BRM seats so I have the flat runners (they are part of the seat frame) so I can mount them to the Newton bases I already have. This has been a lot of grinding and cold chisel work to get the runners free from the extra brackets. (I will take some pictures if anyone wants to see them)

The newton seat bases are too narrow. So the next stage is to get some flat steel bar, drill mounting holes so it will mount to the runners and the seat base, and then bolt that together.

I am thinking of having two long runs of flat bar for extra strength, but may make brackets instead to make the assembly lighter, as I have 3m x 25m bar that I can cut to any length needed.

My theory is this will only raise the seat by 3mm (I'm 6ft 6 so any height I can save the better) and still give me the space under the seats as this has been used for some of the pre existing modifications to the car.

can anyone see any issues with this set up? I will not be using the seat mounted seatbelt clips but the floor mounted ones in the car.

Also anyone have any leads as to who could remove the BRM rear seat covers and reupholster the back seats in this? or how I could adapt the BRM rears to fit (feeling that this would be too much of a cut up job due to the length of the seats)

Thanks

Andy
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

philthehill wrote:Angle iron = Dexion - I would suggest that it is not the strongest of materials for this application.
I recently bolted some Rover 45 leather seats into my Traveller. I used lengths of angle iron from a nearby sheet metal fabricators, that is good and thick (must be approx. 1/8" - at least about the same thickness as the standard Minor seat mounting clasps), and seems very sturdy.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The way that the seats are fitted and the use of the angle iron will have bearing on whether it is suitable for the application.
A photo of your seat fitment would be appreciated.
To reiterate:- Dexion is more than suitable for erecting shelving but is not suitable for mounting seats of what ever marque or type.
You have to consider the forces that act on the seat & mounting when involved in an accident. You have to build in for the worst case scenario.
The non standard drivers seat (only seat fitted) fitted to my Minor is supported by quite large 60mm x 100mm x 6mm thick alloy 'L' shaped brackets (specific for the seat and motorsport compatible) with large plates fitted to the inside and underside of the steel floor and all held together by 3/8" high tensile bolts and nuts.
I am therefore more than happy that the seat mounts fitted to my Minor are not going to let me down when the need to keep the seat, mountings and car floor together arises.
Phil

akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

okay so I have cut off all of the rover fabricated mounts from the runners. leaving flat runners with mounting holes.

My next plan is to make extension mounts from flat steel bar with mounting hole for the runners of the seat, and then inner mounting holes for the newton seat mounts - the newton seat frame are narrower than the arm seats.

the next phase will be to pull out the seats in the car separate them from the mount subframes and then measure up the extension bars, and the holes. this should give me secure mounts to the existing subframes.

Does anyone see an issue with this - as it seems to work well for the battered newton seats in the car.

Also does anyone know a way to narrow the rear BRM seats to fit a minor - or someone who can reupholster the original minor rear seats in the BRM seat covers.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

Okay well I have finished the seat mounts - they work really well. I used flat bar to extend the runners to connect to the newton commercial seat sub frames I had. I have attached some pictures.

I ground off all the metal work on the runners so that they where flat mount and universal. using existing bolt holes to mount the runners to the flat bar extensions.

The seats fit perfectly in the car too... Just one problem. The 2 to 3 inches of headroom I had has now vanished and my head is rammed against the car roof (being 6'6 is the issue here as everyone else seems to think its perfect)

so the next plan is to buy a welder (unless anyone has one I can borrow) and build a copy of the newton subframes but half the size so this should give me 2 inches - hopefully more - head room and mean I have the proper view through the windscreen and not an eyeliner that hits the roof and not the screen. - It was really disheartening when I first sat in the car. I almost just put the tattered newton seats back in.

If anyone has any ideas of how I can do this id be very grateful - its either that, or removing some of the seat base foam to lower the seat (something that may have to happen anyway)
Attachments
IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3690.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3701 times
IMG_3689.jpg
IMG_3689.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3701 times
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar