Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

FUEL PUMP ???????

Post by BIGRAB »

I'm still new to Minors so bear with me.

A couple of months ago the Morris (1966) suddenly cut out/shuddered and free wheeled to a stop.
It felt like fuel starvation with the ignition light on as soon as it cut out.
After an unsuccesful restart I pulled out the choke and hey presto off it went.
I checked the fuel gauge and it was touching the empty mark, went to garage and put some fuel in.
I put the experience down to very low fuel/gauge not 100% and learned my lesson.

However yesterday with tank half full exact same on two occassions, first time it fired right away and off I went, on second occassion a bit more difficult with or without ckoke.

Read various things on forums relating to fuel pumps, different types, cahnge contacts etc.

I enclose a photo of my type of pump which looks very old, can anyone ID and also recommend a course of action.

Should also add my Minor has been changed to NEGATIVE earth, if new fuel pump reqd anything I need to look out for ?

Does this pump have contacts ?

Any help as always is appreciated.
Attachments
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump
IMG_7711.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Last edited by BIGRAB on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: FUEL PUMP ???????

Post by les »

The pump does have contacts and it might be worth giving them a clean. If the pump stops working, before you try starting it again, giving it a couple of knocks may start it ticking fast ( pumping petrol) in which case you could conclude it was faulty or at least needing an overhaul. Don't dismiss an electrical fault somewhere though. I had a bad rotor arm show similar symptoms.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I too have had similar symptoms. Proved to be damaged insulation on condenser wire... intermittently touching distributor baseplate
1956 4-door called Max
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

I should have also said.

When switching on ignition, pumps clicks away furiously then settles to a click every 9-10 secs.

On starting it clicks to a steady 2-3 secs.

Is this an SU type pump ?

Cheers
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes an SU pump. Sounds like it's working ok but next time the car stops, get out, leave ign on and tap the pump. If it starts ticking furiously, that would appear to suggest it stops pumping on occasions. Otherwise check the electrics.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Others may think differently, but I reckon the pump is losing pressure too quickly if it ticks every 9 sceonds when 'doing nothing'. That may mean there is valve wear or something in there that should not be. When it failed, was the pump ticking constantly? Turning off the ignition can sometimes allow sediment or other foreign objects to move out of the way.

ignition light will come on whenever the engine stops while the ignition key is in the 'on' position.

Most cars are converted to negative earth, so changing it to positive earth is surprising (but possible, of course).
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

My mistake, it's NEGATIVE earth.

When it failed I was unable to hear any clicking due to the wife moaning and groaning about the car cutting out !!!!!!!!!!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, it may be the pump but, as others have said, it could be something else. Problem is, it seems intermittant, so hard to test for until it goes wrong again. But definately worth checking over the ignition system - wires, HT leads and their connections, rotor arm, points and plugs, spark etc. to rule that side of things out.
If it is the pump, cleaning or replacing the pump points may fix it, or the carb may need a clean, or may be low in dashpot oil......
george-reed
Minor Friendly

Post by george-reed »

I am having similar issues with mine, runs fine for a while then stops pumping or it seems to. if I turn off he ignition and wait a while I can turn it back on listen for the ticking and restart. thinking about replacing it with a universal small pump (seen on ebay £12-36) as an alternative, has anyone had a similar issue and would the universal ones work ok? thanks.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

sounds like you could do with a new pump they are easy to change and have electronic innards that are more reliable , all the morris minor suppliers as well as burlon fuel systems
[sig]5641[/sig]