Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
briandr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

handbrake cables

Post by briandr »

hi bought two new handbrake cables for my traveller found that the stud to fit in footwell from underneath was 5 centimetres 2inches short of holes,supplier says they are the correct length .Has anyone else come across this problem or is my car two inches longer than the rest .They say that there sales for this item exceed 500 with no complaint . :-? :-?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: handbrake cables

Post by firedrake1942 »

No but when a friend fitted new rear break shoes and HB cables from one of the main parts suppliers, often mentioned on these pages, (but as we are not allowed to name in negative feedback, like Voldemort - PM me if you want the supplier) it was found that the brake shoes were significantly smaller than original or the Mintex she later had fitted, resulting in very poor rear braking and poor handbrake holding.

Same response from supplier - many sold, no complaints etc etc

If they don't fit an un-stretched minor, they are not fit for purpose!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

How does the old outer cable compare with the length of the new in relation to the stud which fixes into the floor?

briandr
Minor Friendly

Post by briandr »

hi, sorry for gap in replying been ill, the handbrake cable taken off was same length as the new ones ,the stud on the old one had been pulled off to reach the hole in the body.so whoever fitted it had the same problem that I have the outer cable is not long enough. So I have been BULL-MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY by the supplier cant understand his MOTIF for this. :x
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Is the hole in the body for the front location of the H/B cable where it should be at the bottom off the transmission tunnel & just in front of the rear seat upstanding?
It may be that the hole for the outer cable is in the wrong place and the cable outer is as it should be.
Is the mounting for the handbrake on the axle tube as it should be. They have been known to corrode away and fail and a repair bracket fitted.
A photo of the body and axle mounts for the handbrake cable would not go amiss. and would be of benefit in drawing a sensible conclusion.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't really understand why you seem to be blaming your supplier for the new part when you now say it is the same length as the original? Sometimes new parts can be poor quality and faulty but I bought handbrake cables from the same supplier recently and they fitted my own car perfectly. As Phil says, it your mounting in the correct place? Can you post a photograph?
briandr
Minor Friendly

Post by briandr »

hi, When I said original cable I meant the damaged cable that was on the car, yes the hole for the stud is in the tunnel as described just in front of the rear passenger seat and the cable fixing for the brake lever on the axel is original both sides .Cannot get under to photo to -day but will post as soon as I can. As I said before the studs have been pulled out of the outer cables to reach the holes ---2inches short of length. : :(