Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bright Sparks Neede.

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hi, recently became the owner of 1962 four door.
In the last 2 weeks my moggie has shown signs of poor starting ALL the usual have been checked and I''ve narrowed it down to TWO problems.
It's either the solenoid or the battery.
The syptoms(nothing but a groan from the starter motor) seem to be worse when I've undertaken short trips and conversely when long trips have been made the problem disappears.
This is why I believe it's battery or solenoid, has anyone elase suffred similar problems and what was the cause and remedy?
Any data would be gratefully received.
hankyou

I size=18][/size]
Cam

Post by Cam »

When you say ALL the usual have been checked, have you checked the gearbox earth strap?

This is usually at fault if starting is the only problem, try shorting the engine block to the body with a jump lead and then trying it, if it improves, then the earth strap is at fault.

To check the solenoid, connect a voltmeter across the two terminals (+ to starter side of you are positive earth or + to battery side if you are neg earth) it should read about 12 volts, but when you attempt to start the car it should fall to ZERO, if any voltage is showing then the solenoid is duff.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine off, it should be about 12 volts ish. any lower and the battery is suspect.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine at about 2500+ RPM, it should be about 14 volts. If it is about 12 or lower then the chargine circuit (dynamo + regulator) or alternator is duff.

All the above is assuming that all the terminals are tight and not corroded.

Cam. :wink:
Willie
Minor Legend

battery

Post by Willie »

Lo, your symptoms are the classic set for "the battery not charging"
1. fully charge the battery and take it to a battery supplier who can do
a 'discharge' test. This will indicate wether the battery is capable of
holding a charge. If it is ok then the dynamo is probably not charging
properly...usually a new pair of brushes are needed.....easy and very
cheap. or you can get an exchange recon dynamo. Basic check....
is the fan belt too loose?? you should just be able to turn the fan blade
by hand...JUST.
Willie
Willie
Minor Legend

battery

Post by Willie »

I add to the above that should you need a new battery Halfords sell
a 3 year guaranteed one for the Minor for a very reasonable fee and
it happens to be black.....which looks better in a Minor that the brightly
coloured modern types.
Willie
Chris Morley

Suspect Starter Motor?

Post by Chris Morley »

I had exactly these symptoms and it was entirely due to a failing starter motor rather than a dodgy battery.
The motor churns very slowly, makes a groaning noise and takes an age to start the car when it has been left overnight or longer. When the engine has been used recently it will turn over and start more quickly as there is less engine inertia to overcome.

A quick way to test it would be with another car or charged battery and jump leads. If there's nothing wrong with the starter it should be vigorous and start the engine within a second or two.

I guess a solenoid would usually fail suddenly, as mine did. A starting handle is invaluable: it will give you the ability to start a car with a low battery or failed starter / solenoid. Well worth getting a replica if you don't have one with the car.