Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
an_avenger
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

An Old 1960's Smith clock......?

Post by an_avenger »

Hello :D

Recently I bought an old Smiths 1960's electric clock at a BL auto-jumble (damn great places for bargins) however this quaint little accessory for my green beast doesn't seem to work! Does anyone know any good UK websites which offer fixing these clock/gauges? I tried Gower Oaks about four times (via email) but I have had no respose!

Before I got this clock I tried to bid on eBay for a similar clock and helpfully the seller gave out a website which fixes Smiths gauges for a flat rate of £20. Could this ring any bells? Please, please, please shed some light!
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

If you get this clock working you must bear in mind that if you leave the car standing for a lond period with the clock connected it will drain the battery.
Andy Hunter
MMOC Member: No

Before you go...

Post by Andy Hunter »

Before you waste money on trying to get the clock fixed, you should know that many old Smiths clocks need to be shunted into life manually after being connected to 12v.
This is usually done by pressing and releasing the time adjustment knob. It'll be easy to determine if the clock is of this type as the knob will move in a few mm and return under spring pressure.

You may need to repeat the process a few time to coax the thing into life.

Hope this helps

@]#