Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Dead horn!

Post by KatiePotatie »

T'other day I noticed my tail lights were out, so I figured a new set of fuses, which have been replaced, tail lights work, but now the horn & interior light doesn't work.

I changed ALL the fuses, (the ones that were in there were very old by the looks of it), and now, as I say, I have lost the horn & int. light. There are no loose wires that I can see...

Any suggestions what it might be?! :roll:
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Re: Dead horn!

Post by fussyoldfart »

KatiePotatie wrote:T'other day I noticed my tail lights were out, so I figured a new set of fuses, which have been replaced, tail lights work, but now the horn & interior light doesn't work.

I changed ALL the fuses, (the ones that were in there were very old by the looks of it), and now, as I say, I have lost the horn & int. light. There are no loose wires that I can see...

Any suggestions what it might be?! :roll:
You must have either a blown fuse or a bad connection at the fuse. The same fuse serves both the interior light and the horn.

BTW, fuses don't get old, they either work or they don't. Since the horn and the interior light were working before why not put that fuse back in to see if that solves the problem? Its a good idea to clean the clips that hold the fuses to be sure of a good connection.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Maybe you moved something when trying to fix your bonnet catch? Check all connections closely - remove and refit if able to do so. If it was all working fine before the incident with the bonnet catch it may be something simple! Good luck :D

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Touch a piece of wire across the contacts of the fuse holder with the purple wires, leave the front door open and see if the interior light is on.
If the fuse has blown you can see the broken wire so get the fuses that you have just thrown away.
If the fuse is not working slide it around in the fuse holder
Last edited by mike.perry on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

same thing happened to me- lost interior light and horn, but had put in a new fuse. It was ( like others have said) a bad connection in the fuse box. a quick rub with some emery paper and all was well again. ( except the interior light only works with the driver side door, but thats another story with nothing to do with the fuse)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There are only the two fuses (Ign and non-Ign) - and yes - clean the contacts and the fuse ends - and a spray with WD40 helps too.
ImageImage
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

There are 3 fuses, actually - Tail & side lights, ignition & non ignition.

I will try giving the fuse a wiggle, and check the wires again, and give the connections a rub with the handy nail file I keep in the car for such jobs ;)

My interior light only works when it feels like anyway, but I am a bit sad about the horn, I mean, there was a fella in a BRIGHT GREEN body suit thing that I would have loved to have beeped today :lol: :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes indeed, my mistake there - later cars have side light fuse locked away in a holder and doesn't normally give any problem (my own car doesn't have that fuse). If it 'blew' there must have been a cause for that? The two fuses in the little holder block are where the corrosion sets in on the contacts.
ImageImage
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Make sure the screw holding the fuse box to the bulkhead is in alright - I had problems with mine, renewed it and it works fine.

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b