Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bicton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Tour UK to Spain with a Morris Minor in august 2014

Post by bicton »

An update from this coming adventure!

The most important I got the car :D ...not perfect but I think is ideal for this adventure.

Not a pristine genuine Morris Minor but I think we can mend that in the future restorations

Purchase Price 1171 GBP.

4 DOOR 1961

MOT FEB 2015

TAX FEB FREE

1100 ENGINE

MODERN LEATHER SEATS, FRONTMAND REAR MG WHEELS

VERY GOOD TYRES, HALOGEN HEADLAMPS

SMALL STEERING WHEEL

RUNS AND DRIVES VERY WELL

USED DAILY, 3 FORMER KEEPERS

VERY SOLID, NO WELDING NEEDED BUT DOES NEED WORK TO MAKE A.1 CONDITION

Fingers crossed...
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Well done, for the price you paid it looks a good car, one you can improve over the years

Your trip sounds very nice, make sure you give the car a good service before you set off

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

That car looks good for the price - I hope it turns out to be great!
The seats are not what most people would want but if that's the biggest issue, then you've not got much to worry about.

Good luck on the journey!
200 miles a day is not really a lot, but for a recently purchased classic, it is worth to do lots of regular checks on the first few days (I would do less checks after a few days time if everything is fine).
With 200 miles/day at least you should get time to enjoy the journey!

The last time I was travelling that direction I did the midlands UK to southern spain in 4 days (3 nights) - that was more than enough travelling per day for a Minor!

1st day Midlands* to Nothern France (*leaving at lunchtime as I was fixing the car..)
2nd day N.France to Le-Mans
3rd Day to Burgos
4th day arrive, southern Spain!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bicton
Minor Friendly

Post by bicton »

Thank you a lot for all you recomendations rayofleamington, we are starting our trip next thursday collecting the car in Haywards Heath and going down to Torquay

This is the route in UK I think we are doing, anyone around this route? perhaps not the best route posible?

https://goo.gl/maps/KzRKW

After expending some days around we will decide what to do...Plymouth-Santander or Poole-Santander, Poole-France...

Now I found Plymouth-Santander very expensive, other idea I like will be to go Poole-France but the principal isue in this one is I don´t speak french.... :cry:

I still have lots of questions :oops:

Principals checks I need to do everyday on the car apart from water and oil?

Tools and parts I need to carry on the car?

Garage to make a good service around our route?

Many thanks for all the help.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Principals checks I need to do everyday on the car apart from water and oil?
The list will be different from everyone... and it depends where you can do the work and what tools you have access to.
Hopefully the seller will be helpful (with tools and space on driveway?) for the day-1 checks!

On first day:
1) oil level, water level - of course!
2) check condition of fuel pump points, If they look very burnt it will be a problem before you get home!
3) check condition & gap of contact breaker points (in distributor)
4) visual check of distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads and spark plugs
5) grease the front suspension* (top and bottom trunnion) and the steering joints
6) top up gearbox oil**
7) check level / top up rear axle oil
8.) grease the propshaft joints.
9) check brake fluid level***
10) adjust the brakes****. Also check by hand for wheelbearing play when wheel is off the ground.
11) With a simple volt meter, check the battery voltage, then start the engine and rev up. Check the voltage increases, but never more than ~16v. Put a drop of oil on the dynamo bearings. If you have enough time, check the dynamo brushes.
13) Check fan belt and radiator hoses to see if they look old / cracked. There is a small hose at front of engine between water pump and cylinder head - check this also to see if it looks 'bad'.

With the right tools, all this (#1 to #13) would take me a couple of hours.

* I would normally use trolley jack, axle stand and a scissor jack. Be careful wen jacking up and removing a wheel! I recommend that you get a grease gun with lever (you need to use this often, so get one now?)
** need to remove some carpet on left hand side of gearbox cover. To fill you need a funnel or bottle with a ~150mm long tube, and use engine oil.
*** under RH drivers side carpet - without the right spanner, large mole grips should work to remove the cap.
**** same tools as '*' but needs a strong flat-head screwdriver in place of the grease gun. You need also to chock the other wheels so you can jack up the rear wheel without handbrake.

During the trip, look for oil/fluid loss and repeat some checks:
#1 - twice a day; every morning and at half distance. On first day check every 40 miles.
#3& #4- 1st check after 500 miles, then every 1000 miles
#5 - every 3000 miles is ok.
#6 - check level after 500 mile. if it has not lost a lot of oil, then check every 3000 miles is ok.
#7 - if you don't see any oil loss from out of the axle, then maybe don't re-check until you get home?
#9 - check every day for first 2 days, then if it doesn't change, then maybe don't re-check until you get home?
#10 - If you adjust the brakes on day 1, they should be ok for the whole journey. Only re-adjust if the brake pedal travel becomes long (on first time pressing the brakes)

Spares?!? Hmm - everyone will disagree!
my suggestions :
i) contact breaker points
ii) 5l engine oil, 5l water for radiator, 500ml brake fluid.
iii) cable ties, meal coat hanger, strong cloth tape, 2 x 2 meters of 30amp electrical wire
iv) inner tube (and make sure the spare wheel is good!)
v) fuel pump points (but if old ones are bad, change them before you break down!)
vi) in-line fuel filter (if old one looks dirty change it, don't wait to see if you get a problem)

tools & kit
a) hazard warning triangle. 2 x Hi-Viz jacket
b) 1 x head torch. Also a big torch that also has a flashing red light (the car does not have hazard warning lights)
c) 1/2" socket set with 'AF' sizes
d) spanners from 7/16" to 5/8" (and if possible also a 1/4" Whitworth spanner or socket = 5/16" BS)
e) 10mm and 13mm spanners / sockets in case somebody used metric fasteners.
f) extending wheel wrench with 1/2" socket drive. Normally these have 17/19mm socket- for the Minor you want an 18mm socket!!
g) pliers, thin nose pliers, wire cutters, large mole grips
h) electrical scewdriver, medium and large crosshead screwdriver, medium and large flat head screwdriver.
i) a fairly large scissor jack + something to chock the wheels.
j) grease gun (to do #5)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bicton
Minor Friendly

Post by bicton »

Fantastic!! Thank you for such a great help rayofleamington!!

I'm going to print it and study caefully!

Also I book for a Service next friday in Charles Wares Morrys Minor Center In Bristol.

Here we go!
bicton
Minor Friendly

Post by bicton »

After seven fantastic days we are back in Alicante, the Morris is been great all the time, never let us down and its been a pleasure to drive and understand the feeling of drove a Morris Minor.

Thanks to her we enjoyed all the people we meet on the Tour and the different landscapes of all the amazing places we had been in this incredible adventure.

Now the car is having a good clean and restoration...she deserved! Also she needs a name! Typical Spanish name with a joke...Carmen perhaps :D

PD. I do not recommend to buy a Morris in ebay, I found lots of bad surprises in mine, but if you do please get as much information as possible.

Now time to enjoy the resume with some of the photos we made in our Tour!

First contact with her

After nearly 4 hours of trafic jams and no good brakes finally we reach Bristol

Next day Good service done to her thanks to http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/

Ana loves the Million, the Million loves Ana :D

They show us all the working areas, amazing place for take care the Morris

Thank you Andy and all the team you make this possible!

A pleasure to drive on the countryside away from the traffic jams on the motorways

We decided to go asap to get the tickets for the Ferry in Plymouth because all the south west is full and was difficult to find accommodations

One of the most beautifull Towns in Spain Santillana del Mar just 20 min from Santander.

Going down you can apreciate the difirence of landscapes

Checking every day oil & water

Such a Beautifull places we find with lovely people near Palencia like the Canal de Castilla sorrounded by small towns.

Segovia one of the Historic jewels of Spain

Fields of vines everywhere and land of Don Quixote just 3 hours from our final destination.
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

You did really well to get that car, I guess the changes from the ex-factory specification made better sense for longer distance touring. Though on the early posts I did assume driving through France was the intended routed , which was probably better avoided, (nothing wrong with France but if on a time-restricted destinations its probably a few hundred miles too many )
bicton
Minor Friendly

Post by bicton »

Thank you to every one that helped us on here to made this adventure come true, now I am starting a blog where I narrate our experience last summer driving our Morris Minor from UK to our home in Spain. We hope you like it.

http://www.morrisminorlove.com