Mini Carb...

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

Best inlet manifold is the alloy MG Metro one
Oselli or Howley is better, and the 1.3/4" SU as you say only really comes into its own on a tuned 1275cc anything else works fine with a 1.1/5" SU and will not really be disadvantaged until above 70mph with a standard 1275.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh I agree about the Oselli/Howley manifold - and next time I see one on ebay for £2 be sure I will buy it !! My last two MG alloy ones cost exactly that - £ 2 each. With a half round file the corner inside the big hole has been modified extensively - and the runners carefully opened to match the big port head. I doubt the O/H manifolds will be much better now !! And of course P/T - all the elements need to be matched to get good air flow - although a small carb (1.5") running into a big manifold (1.75") will be ok. It's when the size decreases that problems occur.
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

With a half round file
I can thouroughly recommend a 'Dremmel' type high speed drill. I have one by Hobbycraft, it cost me a tenner and came with loads of different heads. With another £5 I bought another grinding head suitable for working my cylinder head. It's great fun.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Dremmels I have seen and used are far too small for any serious head work.
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The Dremmels I have seen and used are far too small for any serious head work.
Have you ever tried to use one on a cylinder head? I can assure you that with the right grinding bits they do a very good job. I have deshrouded the valves and inlets around the valve stem on my 202 head following patterns set out in Vizards 'bible'.
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

I agree with Peetee, I have a similar tool that I have used on cylinder heads, manifolds and carbs. The tool bits may not last very long, but If you want very professional results then you would be better off buying a cylinder head ready modified by professional tuning company.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

you would be better off buying a cylinder head ready modified by professional tuning company
Indeed, but part of the cost of these things comes down to the time spent polishing it to a mirror finish - a totally unnecessary indulgance.
If you are stuck to fill the hours during the winter months I can really recommend having ago at DIY cylinder head mods. I have really enjoyed it despite the fact that the head I was going to use has proved useless because it was cracked :evil: . It just means that the next time I have a go I will really know how to do it well.