Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Windscreen rubber size specification

Post by MorrisGoa »

Hi,

My dad owns a 1970 Saloon (1098cc) car. I'm in the process of having the car fully restored. Since I'm based in Goa, I want to procure locally as many parts as possible.

For now I want to replace my front windshield rubber and the accompanying plastic chrome insert. I need to know the size and dimensions for both these.

The following website has various Window rubbers (Claytonrite) http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.a ... rtmentId=4 . To use their terminology, I need 'Gap A', 'Gap B', 'Web' Width & height of the rubber.

This website provides a picture of the chrome insert (REF: MF/8). http://www.automobiletrim.com/windscreen-chrome.html . These chrome inserts come in various widths and heights. How do I make sure that they match?

Thanks.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Re: Windscreen rubber size specification

Post by tysonn »

Just buy the correct parts from here:

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/ind ... 1b77e9531a
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Do you not have the old parts to take dimensions from - or to send samples to the 'local' supplier ?
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome to the messageboard! Post some pictures of your Dads car, we all like pictures here :D

None of the rubbers listed on seals direct look quite right to me, the plastic chrome looks ok though. I would suggest is probably better to buy a job lot of the parts you need and would agree with Tyson thats East Sussex Minors are probably your best option.

Too many Minors so little time.....
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisGoa »

Thanks All for the replies.

I've just recently given the car for a full restoration. Both the windshield rubbers were replaced in 2002 with imports from the UK. Corrosion under the rubbers have caused them to bloat at a few spots. My workshop owner advised that it's best to replace them.

In 2002, the insert of the old front windscreen was too big for the new rubber, so it was left without one. In hindsight, the insert should have been imported.

Brief history:
Up until the early 1960s, the Morris Minor was assembled and sold in India, re-badged as the 'Baby Hindustan'. The most powerful being the 948cc. Mine is a 1098cc direct import though.

Importing spares from the UK:
I've no idea of the procedures to pay the Indian Customs duties, should I import via post/courier. In the past my Dad would request family/friends to bring these with them.

Keeping in mind that spares are available locally at a fraction of the cost, I will locate spares from places in this sequence, Goa ---> Rest of India ---> Sri Lanka --->UK.

tysonn : Yes, that will be my last option. My 'Morris Body Parts Manual' is silent on this and I thought there will be a slim chance that someone on this forum will know the measurements.

bmcecosse: The workshop owner had someone take the measurements. But in 2002, with the UK rubber not accepting the old insert, I wanted to clear my doubts here.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH: The workshop owner has taken many pics of the car. I'll then be able to have a 'Before' and 'After' restoration comparative. Will definitely post these. :) Should I post on this thread/topic or another?

Came across this interesting fact, thought I'll share. Charles Ware, UK manufactures few spares in Sri Lanka!
http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/index.php/sri-lanka.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cla ... Lanka.html

Just as I was writing this post a Sri Lankan supplier informed me that he does supply to India. Given that India and Sri Lanka have a Free Trade Agreement, I don't have to be bothered by Customs :D

Cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Comprehensive reply! Any pictures of a 'baby' - or were they just exactly Minors ? And oh dear yes - we know all about CW and their spare parts.......... :roll: :roll:
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

bmcecosse wrote:Comprehensive reply! Any pictures of a 'baby' - or were they just exactly Minors ? And oh dear yes - we know all about CW and their spare parts.......... :roll: :roll:
Apparently, never used the "F" prefix on their chassis plates - little bit of info that fits into the
"no-one is interested" category!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But - were they LBM shells ??? :wink: :lol:
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

bmcecosse wrote:But - were they LBM shells ??? :wink: :lol:
Don't start!!

I'll come 'round your hoose and drop an palletised ancilliarlyless 1089 engine
and rear axle on your heid!! :P
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Naaawww y'elll noooo.......... :evil:
ImageImage
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisGoa »

bmcecosse : Yes, they were Completely Knocked Down(CKD) kits. The last being the series 4, 948cc. After this, the Indian government in order to boost Indian manufacturers imposed punitive import duties on CKDs.
Here's a link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/ ... hread.html.
On that link, take a look at the badging on the cars with plate numbers 'MSX 1444' & 'DLE 507'.

Cheers