Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: What carb?

Post by mike.perry »

There are two H1 carbs, horizontal for the 918 side valve engine and semi downdraught with the angled float chamber for the 803 engine.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Same carb - just different float bowls.....
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Still no use if you have the wrong float chamber
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

He doesn't have the carb.......
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

mmm.. ok, not 'rocket science' but I knew this was never going to be simple unless the correct carb for the early canister type filter was fitted.

Anyone out there got a 803 H1 carb?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need manifold and carb.....it's a different manifold...... as I have mentioned before.... :roll: Have you removed the air filter mounting to look at the carb flange? It's really not much different to the H1....
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

bmcecosse wrote:You need manifold and carb.....it's a different manifold...... as I have mentioned before.... :roll: Have you removed the air filter mounting to look at the carb flange? It's really not much different to the H1....
I suspect the carb flange is very similar, which is why i previously suggested adapting the elbow from carb to air filter.

As I'm sure you know the H2 carb has the air filter bolted directly to it so no elbow.

I presume from what you are saying the H1 carbs fitting to manifold is so completely different it requires the intake manifold as well as the H1 carb, what is so different that the existing manifold could not be used?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's a different flange shape and stud pitch, and hole size of course..... It would be MUCH more difficult to fit an H1 carb to your manifold - than it will be to fit your air cleaner to the carb you have !!
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

bmcecosse wrote:It's a different flange shape and stud pitch, and hole size of course..... It would be MUCH more difficult to fit an H1 carb to your manifold - than it will be to fit your air cleaner to the carb you have !!
It seems like the answer is to find a H1 carb elbow and work it to fit the H2 carb to the H1 filter.(if possible)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

What do you mean by 'elbow' - ?? You seem to be making a mountain out of a very small molehill here....
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

bmcecosse wrote:What do you mean by 'elbow' - ?? You seem to be making a mountain out of a very small molehill here....
I thought it was obvious that the elbow is the alloy connection that fits between carb and air filter? basically the part you commented would be easy to make up? :-?

I think that it is also obvious this was not such a simple job as you liked to make out, maybe I have just misunderstood your comments and eye rolling smilies.

I respect peoples advice and appreciate any help, but don't keep trying to take the P with derogatory comments, they are not appreciated..

I have over 40 years experience in the motor trade as a fully qualified panel beater, restored many classic cars, repaired many write offs, run a body shop for nissan main dealer and run my own car repair business.

I am doing a back to metal restoration on this little moggy, all work being carried out myself apart from having a fully qualified mechanic check electrics and brakes when car is ready to go back on the road.

With all due respect you have not helped resolve this 'molehill' but appear intent on making comments I do not think helpful and certainly are not appreciated.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's not an 'elbow' - undo the two bolts and remove it to expose the carb flange..... That's where you attach your air cleaner.... Seems obvious to me... I've done my best to explain - you seem determined to be obtuse... But thanks for your comments. You are now on my 'naughty step' - so I won't be seeing your posts anymore ! Good bye...and good luck.
ImageImage
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

As you are a skilled panel beater I suggest that you mount the air filter in the correct position above the carb, then cut off the end of the steel intake duct and fabricate a new one to suit the carb that you have. I would check that you have sufficient clearance to get to the dashpot before welding it all up.

Taupe
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

taupe wrote:Hi

As you are a skilled panel beater I suggest that you mount the air filter in the correct position above the carb, then cut off the end of the steel intake duct and fabricate a new one to suit the carb that you have. I would check that you have sufficient clearance to get to the dashpot before welding it all up.

Taupe
Thank you, that is an option I will seriously consider, I think the air filter needs to be bolted in position above carb and then see if this is a possible solution, this I will be doing today.
Front wings and bulk head were painted yesterday ready for the engine bay to be tidied up, the air filter job being just one of the things needing to be done.

Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

bmcecosse wrote:It's not an 'elbow' - undo the two bolts and remove it to expose the carb flange..... That's where you attach your air cleaner.... Seems obvious to me... I've done my best to explain - you seem determined to be obtuse... But thanks for your comments. You are now on my 'naughty step' - so I won't be seeing your posts anymore ! Good bye...and good luck.
Elbow is a term used that is recognised as properly describing such a part within professionals in the motor trade, others with experience would know exactly what was being referred to in the context of this issue.
The fact you decide to question such a desciption does come across as simply being difficult and petty.

I appreciate helpful advise from any members on this owners club, as previously stated I do not appreciate someone like you simply trying to dominate all posts with an arrogance and rudeness that is unhelpful and unnecessary.

Please refrain from posting on any of my threads as I am quite happy to be on your naughty step :lol: