Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Childnurse
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller welding

Post by Childnurse »

Hi,

I am willing to try anything once, but I have to admit that this is a bit beyond my current level of experience/ability, especially as I am now up against a deadline of mid August to get this 1971 Traveller on the road.

Can anyone please recommend a welder in the East London/Essex area who would be able to come out to me to cut out the bottom of the left hand B post repair panel and weld in a replacement. I also need the rear inner wings and arches/flanges to be welded on, too.

Cutting out the rotten part of the B post is one thing, but making sure the roof stays in the right position whilst welding in the repair is quite another.

Grateful for any info. Thank you.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller welding

Post by irmscher »

Try your local MMOC branch in registers and branches on the forum :) I am sure you will get help there
LUR759H
Minor Fan

Post by LUR759H »

No i cant even become a member of my local branch.... and any post on here in the past in relation to them getting in contact with me has been pointless - so dont expect your local branch to be helpful!!! Just the facts...

Alan
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

This site isn't the best way to contact a branch about a matter like this, you need to turn up at a meeting and chat with the people there.
Many branch member don't have the time or inclination to post here.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

Thank you irmscher. I will get in touch with the local branch and go along to the next meeting. Many thanks.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The East London branch stopped running years ago. There's a garage in Ley Street, Ilford which does work on Minors: http://www.bandpmotors.co.uk/restoration.html I haven't used them, so can't vouch for their work, but it might be worth contacting them to see if they can recommend any mobile welders.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

LouiseM wrote:The East London branch stopped running years ago. There's a garage in Ley Street, Ilford which does work on Minors: http://www.bandpmotors.co.uk/restoration.html I haven't used them, so can't vouch for their work, but it might be worth contacting them to see if they can recommend any mobile welders.
I've only just now logged in and seen your post (quoted). By sheer coincidence I was leafing through the latest issue of Minor Matters last night and saw an ad in there for this very company. They are practically my local garage, being only a mile away from my home. I've been going past this place on average a couple of times a week for the last 10 years. Also, one of their mechanics is a member of my archery club. Never once did it occur to me that they could do work on my Traveller, despite the fact that I have regularly seen a Minor on their forecourt. Oh well, so much for a university education!

I went to see them this afternoon and the owner immediately dropped everything and came back with me to see the car. I've explained what I need and it looks like we might have a plan.

I'll keep you posted.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Let me know how you get on as it would be handy to know of a good Minor friendly garage in the area (I'm about 7 miles away) :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

LouiseM wrote:Let me know how you get on as it would be handy to know of a good Minor friendly garage in the area (I'm about 7 miles away) :D
Went down to see them again today and we're going ahead. The are going to order the frame from Woodies and I may be going down with when they collect it as there are a couple of projects currently having word done by them (Woodies, that is) that they have invited us to look at.

P&P tell me they have been working on Minors for a few years now and have a small but loyal group of customers. This will be their first Traveller, at least in terms of the amount of work that now needs doing, but they have imbued a feeling of trust and integrity, which is just what we are in need of following our previous experience.

I will definitely update on progress.