Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Messageboard back up!

Post by Cam »

Hi all,

As you will have noticed (else you could not be reading this!) the messageboard is back up and running.

Before anyone goes on a rant about how long it took, can I first apologise and say that due to an unfortunate series of events we were prevented from continuing the upgrade/upload to the live site due to technical problems with the OLD hosting site. This has now been resolved and the board is now upgraded and back up.

Please see the text below for more info as written on the 12th December 2016:
The Morris Minor Owners Club have been experiencing some technical issues over the last week with the hosting of certain websites and services. Historically all MMOC websites have been hosted on a dedicated server provisioned through 1&1 Internet Ltd. This included the mmoc.org.uk phpbb message board and related databases.

During the weekend of the 3rd / 4th December, the server experienced a major corruption to the hard drive array resulting in the total loss of the server, all sites and the databases running them. The new mmoc.org.uk website and membership back office system runs on a completely separate system and has not been affected by this outage.

The outage was raised through the appropriate support channels at 1&1 and by the afternoon of Wednesday 7th December, 1&1 had been able to rebuild the server and restore all the website content folders which restored service to all branch websites.

However, the databases which run the mmoc.org.uk message board forum and http://www.morriscentenary.org.uk website remained offline. our IT provider Ltd who have provided our new website have been chasing 1&1 daily, including over the weekend, but it is with the 3rd line technical team at 1&1 and so far, we have been unable to get any further progress reports.

This issue has been escalated to the technical support management at 1&1 and a formal complaint is being raised as well in an effort to speed up the recovery of the databases.

As soon as the databases are restored, our IT provider will be able to finish the migration of the message board to the new site.

The team at MMOC head office and our IT provider are doing all they can to get this issue resolved as soon as possible and ask for your patience during this unusually long outage. Unfortunately, our hands are tied until the technical support team at 1&1 Internet can resolve the database issues. It is a managed service provided by 1&1 so at present there are no other options other than to keep chasing until we get a resolution from them.

We would like to reiterate that this issue is not related to the recent update to the new http://www.mmoc.org.uk website nor is it due to anything that the MMOC or our IT provider have done or not done.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Messageboard back up!

Post by RobThomas »

Hello Cam.

I can't seem to find a way to view images on old postings. Is that my mistake or are there issues for other people as well?

Thanks.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Rob,

our IT provider have posted a message in a separate thread regarding a problem with pictures:
our IT provider wrote:Hi All,

Please don't worry about missing pictures/threads/etc, all the data is there, but due to the age of the old forum and having to drag it (quite a few) versions up to the latest has meant that some links are broken and some content isn't showing. However, if you can let us know where these issues are then we will get that content restored as soon as possible.

I will talk to Cam and it will probably be easiest if we create a separate thread to report these issues as they are found.

Best regards,

Stuart
our IT provider Ltd
our IT provider / Cam - I haven't had a good look yet but from an initial glance it seems that a large number of pictures are 'missing' from the board. Looking at the FAQ's page it appears that whereas previously we could upload pictures directly from our PC this is no longer possible - you need to link to an image which has been stored on a publically accessible web server. I'm no 'techy' but wonder of this is causing the problem with the removed pictures? (Thanks for getting the board up and running again!)

Eric - 1971 Traveller
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Roy would have enjoyed a good rant about all this...but it's great to be up and running again. Must have been a nightmare for those involved.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Welcome back! 8) What I have seen so far is impressive, even if a few glitches need ironing out.
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Just "thank you" for coming back! Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What are the differences to the old one :-?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Possibly the old board software no longer being supported.

Thanks Cam for your work and a prosperous New Year to all.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The AustinA30 site is ,to all intents and purposes, identical to the old mmoc site. They have gone down the line of gradual improvement. So I guess the software is still supported.
I quite like this new look, though the dark grey on light grey is more difficult for me to read...damn those cataracts!
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Welcome back, and a huge 'thankyou' to the web team for getting the board back up and running. If it were an easy task, it would have been done quickly, so one can only assume it was a mahoosive headache to get sorted. Thank you, and 'well done'. :D
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Hello again, Cam.

I've been going through various bits of the site and I can't seem to get ANY of the pre-upgrade images to open. I know you said that SOME might be 'out' so am I doing something wrong or is the site still being tweaked?? Most of the images I posted were not held elsewhere, just on here so it would be a nightmare if they had gone.
Cardiff, UK
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

I dont think they will ever be back as they are to large. Very fustrating as alot of helpful information has gone missing.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I thought images had to be held elsewhere before they could be transferred to the forum. That's the case for me, hence any image is still available at source.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

it doesn't tell you where the image was stored, though, or does it? If I knew where the image had been linked 'from' then I could retrieve it but diagrams from Google Images etc would be impossible to track down.
Cardiff, UK
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi nice to see the message board up and running , I am restoring a van and used the old pictures stored on the board as a reference but unfortunately most of the pictures are missing and I am no computer buff , consequently a lot of very useful info looks like it's lost , for me anyway
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Propshaft wrote:Hi nice to see the message board up and running , I am restoring a van and used the old pictures stored on the board as a reference but unfortunately most of the pictures are missing and I am no computer buff , consequently a lot of very useful info looks like it's lost , for me anyway
The morrisminorowners forum is still good. I use both to get the best of both worlds.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

RobThomas wrote:it doesn't tell you where the image was stored, though, or does it? If I knew where the image had been linked 'from' then I could retrieve it but diagrams from Google Images etc would be impossible to track down.
I was assuming ( never do this!) that you had a programme on you device where you stored pictures, rather than directly transferring to the forum from the web. However if you found the images there before, maybe you can get them again.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

All the images from my Home Damper Repair are missing too, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53062&hilit=Home+damper+repair
Who do we mail to sort it out?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Trickydicky wrote:All the images from my Home Damper Repair are missing too, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53062&hilit=Home+damper+repair
Who do we mail to sort it out?
Think all you can do is re upload them the correct size.

Im really disappointed with this forum now! Not the people on the forum or the ones that work hard keeping it going. Hopefully they can sort these issues out as iv lost a lot of pictures and we have all lost alot of good information.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Unfortunatly its not that simple, the images were uploaded to the server on the old messageboard but have not been uploaded to the new messageboard when the old messageboard was restored on the new server.
I dont have a copy of the original photos as the post was back in 2013. This is a big loss if the photos on other posts too cannot be restored from the last good backup of the old messageboard.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.