Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dockerman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

ball joint removal

Post by dockerman »

Hi am trying to remove my ball joints but when i turn the nut the bolt turns as well i have put pressure from the top and the bottom of the joint but still everything turns could you please help
Thanks
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: ball joint removal

Post by RobThomas »

Put a spanner on the main body of the steering balljoint and twist it such that the twist puts the ball/socket under duress and pinches the ball against the very edge of the hole in the body, if that makes sense.
Cardiff, UK
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Maybe give it a sharp tap on the opposite side to the nut, this should make it hold in the taper while you undo the nut.

dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thanks for the quick reply's will try tomorrow
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Nut splitters are cheap if you can't manage to undo the nut.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

take it you mean track rod ends, turn steering to get the track rod as close to the steering arm as you can,then with a pair of large mole grips clamp the arm and rod to pull the taper in to hold the pin tight then get the nut hot.Or drive a small chisel between the nut and arm to have the same effect. If you are changing the tr end just cut the nut off with a grinder .They are not that expensive,better than spending time with the old one. and not a bad idea if you are rebuilding the front suspension anyway.Don't forget to loosen the nut holding tre to arm first.Sometimes supporting the arm with a jack underneath and hitting the top of the tre gets the taper to tighten. Sometimes you need to retighten to get the taper tight,get the nut hot and put a spanner on then as you tighten tap the top of the tre repeatedly with a hammer as you turn the nut ,on each tap pull the spanner and the nut should progressively turn. Then when tight and hot undo. Good luck
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thanks for all the info i think its going to be a grinder job
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

can't beat a grinder or calibration tap with a 5lb hammer ,mechanics best tools :D :D