Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ceejay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

VIN location

Post by Ceejay »

Hi all,

I have searched online about where the VIN on a 1957 Morris minor should be stamped and found that it should be on the bulkhead close to the starter pull cable.

Was it ever stamped much higher as shown in the attached photo ?
Attachments
Vin location
Vin location
image.jpeg (264.01 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: VIN location

Post by firedrake1942 »

Never seen that . Mine also a 1957 is on a stamped plate on the other side of the battery box and slightly higher than yours. There was also a stamped NMP plate by the NS bumper stanchion on the tie plate but it is often rusted away our missing because of replacement tie plate / chassis leg.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The chassis numbers are stamped into the body as pictured above and there are letters/numbers on the stamped plates attached by screws located top left of the bulkhead.
The numbers are not the same.
The numbers stamped into the bulkhead are to be found on the left side of the bulkhead usually as per the drawing below but location can vary.
The number stamped on the plate located lower left front chassis is the body number and is not the chassis number.
Attachments
img114.jpg
img114.jpg (419.38 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

firedrake1942 wrote:Never seen that . Mine also a 1957 is on a stamped plate on the other side of the battery box and slightly higher than yours. There was also a stamped NMP plate by the NS bumper stanchion on the tie plate but it is often rusted away our missing because of replacement tie plate / chassis leg.
The number you refer to firedrake in those two positions is the body number. Completely different to the what used to be called the car (or chassis) number which nowadays is refered to as the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). The body number - like the engine number - simply identifies that single component. The chassis/VIN number was only allocated to the car once completely assembled.
I agree that the position shown is a few inches away from the usual one but I have no idea why that should be. Unless there are other identity issues with the car I wouldn't worry unduly about it.