Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Petrol and diesel ban by 2040

Post by amgrave »

They are not allowed on there anyway but would sure help to stop them :lol: :lol: :lol:

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

It wont bother me I wont be around :lol:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

My take on it is...
The oil producing nations wield a lot of power, financially and (indirectly) politically. Most if not all governments know this. None of them will suddenly prompt a complete end to road fuel requirements. They may (will) legislate such that by 2040, 100% of new vehicles will be electrically powered etc., but you can bet your life they'll sit back and do little if anything to eliminate pre-existing petrol/diesel vehicles from the roads. I don't know what the average life of a new car is currently, but by doing nothing and waiting for 'natural wastage' to have effect, its a good bet that a high percentage of petrol cars on the road in 2040 will be on the scrap heap by 2060 anyway.
1956 4-door called Max
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I am not so convinced.

Public opinion is starting to question air quality in large city's which is being severly impacted on by car and diesel vehicles. As the number of battery cars increase and the likelihood of banning or restriction of petrol and diesel cars in built option will turn against there use.

Alongside this It seems likely that driverless technology will become a reality in 10 to 15 years.
This could well mean a reduction in car ownership. People could well use driverless cars like taxis and not actually own them. imposing restrictions on petrol and diesel is then much easier to achieve.

I think we are heading towards considerable restrictions on petrol and diesel cars probably well before 2040
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It's all changing,like it always has done. :wink:
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Sleeper wrote:23 Years?....hands up those who will still be living/driving in 23 years.

John :wink:
Well I'll be 88. So no problem. Still driving.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

I`ll be 93,so probably not :roll:
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

BrianHawley wrote:
Sleeper wrote:23 Years?....hands up those who will still be living/driving in 23 years.

John :wink:
Well I'll be 88. So no problem. Still driving.
Yes, me too. A good vintage! :lol:
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

if this Country dosen't wake up soon..a petrol ban in 2040 will be the least of our (grandchildren's) worry.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Aeroplanes and ships produce far more CO2 than the world's cars. Ban them first! I won't be here in 2040 anyway.
Good home offered for custom splittie
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I notice that the powers that be never mention all the big buildings in towns and cities that use heating oil, they must contribute a fair bit towards pollution. The heavy air caused by fumes is usually in the colder months when the heating is on. They should be converted to electricity and the pollution thereby transferred to the outskirts and countryside where the power stations are. Problem sovled :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

There are some inherant and logistic Problems to solve with an all-electric policy.

1. How will governments recruip the loss of Revenue on fuel tax? Vehicles that are only able to have their batteries recharged at particular places where additional tax Revenue is generated will too easily be got round.
2. The power Generation capacity required to Charge up all private cars as well as perhaps the large lorries would, just guessing now, mean a 150% increase in generating capacity. From where will this power come?
3. The Ratio between winter usage and summer usage will be, as it is now, extreme. This means some redundancy in power Generation which is inefficient and therefore very costly.
4. other reasons, I do not know about.

On the other Hand, those oil producing countries will have a Problem too as they will not be able to sell their crude ata reasonable Price.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Smithy1961
Minor Fan

Post by Smithy1961 »

I wonder ....Saudis have been investing in our nuclear power plants for a while now,

Transmission of charge no longer requires direct contact with the charger so to recharge you only have to get in to the right lane [Im sure that will come at a price]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I expect there will be a few more inventions and discoveries by the year 2040.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

By then we might even have road heritage centres where you go to see (past and current as of present and by 2040 classed as old motors) being driven on short sections of roads and motorways, a bit like railway heritage centres.
People can then say "my granddad (including grandmothers of course) had one of those funny little Morris Minors in the good old days" :wink:

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

philthehill wrote:By then we might even have road heritage centres where you go to see (past and current as of present and by 2040 classed as old motors) being driven on short sections of roads and motorways, a bit like railway heritage centres.
People can then say "my granddad (including grandmothers of course) had one of those funny little Morris Minors in the good old days" :wink:
It's 2050, little Jamie says "Mummy mummy what's that car?", Mummy says... "Jamie get your full face mask on quickly, it's an old air poisoning fossil fuel burning combustion engine car!!!!!!".... "oh my god, it stinks!, We're going to die!"
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

to provide the massively increased demand,would as said require extra generation ,nuclear and renewable,but no one is saying how much that would increase the pollution world wide,for example,wind generation is not pollution free,wind turbines have a limited life span before needing rebuilding,thus each one will produce pollution in the production of the towers,over and over again. and the massive magnets that the turbines use are produced from rare earth metals,do search on rare earth metals and pollution in china, absolutely disgraceful that this level of pollution should be allowed to happen, also same with nuclear,yes once built they have a very long fife span but still cause pollution on contruction,then many years down the line, need to be decommissioned and the waste dealt with. No matter what you think of ,so called clean electricity,unless newer methods of producing it are invented ,pollution will be produced. The only free clean transport is your feet.can't use a horse because apparently,when they f..rt, they pollute the air with methane...... we're all doomed Mr Mannering,don't tell Pike though :D
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Well I'm gonna buy a big diesel generator for the purpose of charging an electric car.
If old technology is really to blame for air quality issues, does that mean they'll demolish Windsor castle because it's not energy efficient?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe it's a ' run it 'till you wreck it' policy. Plenty more planets out there! :roll:

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

The answer to the potential power generation problem for electric cars appears to be quite clear - a distributed grid with local storage. If one is in the position to afford a "power-wall" and solar panels you can already do this. Your home battery pack stores energy from renewables when the demand is less than the supply, which is quite often most of the time. Kryten... sorry Robert Llewellyn, has been covering this for a while, the following is a very interesting read.

http://www.fullychargedshow.co.uk/elect ... the-future
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.