Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

New member and "Anybody know this car"

Post by Ian Jones »

Hello All

I'm a new member and live in Buckingham. I've joined the club before buying a car, as I'm hoping for some assistance. I have a mechanical background and have owned several classic motorcycles over the years. I also own an 1935 Austin 10 (hope I'm allowed to mention that here!). I'm capable of most mechanical work but am useless (and hate) bodywork/paintwork repairs. The Austin is great for short, local trips (yes, I know some people do huge distances in them) but 40mph cruising gets a bit tiresome on longer trips. I have settled on a Minor on the basis of a strong owners club and parts availability (and I like them). I'm looking for something that will comfortably cruise around 60mph and since we don't travel light, and have a dog, have decided on a traveller. Now I just need to find one. Which brings me to my question. Does anybody know this car:

http://www.southnorfolkclassics.co.uk/p ... mbers-car/

Any comments welcome.

Regards

Ian
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: New member and "Anybody know this car"

Post by SteveClem »

Don't know the car but l'd say it's worth a look, and the price isn't ridiculous. Apart from the obvious stuff,do make sure that the wood is right. It can turn into a bit of a money pit otherwise :-?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Hello and welcome. My Father owned a 1935 Austin 10 (a Lichfield) in the 1950s and we travelled all over the country in it. It once reached an indicated 55mph - downhill - which seemed an incredible speed :o. A Morris Minor 1000 is a great choice. I don't know the car in your link at all but I would not be expecting a Traveller at that price to have such a patch repaired timber frame. It will only be a matter of time before the joints all start coming apart and the only answer will be to replace the entire frame. I do appreciate that it isn't the most expensive Traveller currently for sale but £8500 should buy a pretty good example in my opinion.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

PS. If you're into Austins, I recommend the A30/35. Smaller than the Minor,of course, but better in some respects. Rarer and a fabulous club.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on a very sensible approach to entering the Morris Minor world. I don't know the car, or the dealer, but some observations. Firstly it appears from the photos to have had a recent paint job, which looks decent, but difficult to assess its underlying condition. The woodwork has been patched in and looks well past its best, but if solid may respond to cleaning and refinishing. It generally looks an honest car, not one which has been pulled together from various donors, which does happen (don't ask how I know...)

You've probably looked at its MOT history on the DVLA site, but if not it hasn't had any major fails, eg corrosion or structural failure. It has been tested most years, but doesn't appear to have done much more than a hundred miles in any of the last ten years or so.

I can't really comment on the price, may be ok for a dealer (certainly better than the £6k plus Charles Ware are currently asking for a partially finished project Trav) but there have been better sounding private sales on here.

Mark
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

ManyMinors wrote:Hello and welcome. My Father owned a 1935 Austin 10 (a Lichfield) in the 1950s and we travelled all over the country in it. It once reached an indicated 55mph - downhill - which seemed an incredible speed :o. A Morris Minor 1000 is a great choice. I don't know the car in your link at all but I would not be expecting a Traveller at that price to have such a patch repaired timber frame. It will only be a matter of time before the joints all start coming apart and the only answer will be to replace the entire frame. I do appreciate that it isn't the most expensive Traveller currently for sale but £8500 should buy a pretty good example in my opinion.

Having looked at the photos in more detail, I have to agree with the above! The frame has been patched. And I'm not a fan of varnish, it can trap lots of nasty damp in the wood
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I currently own a tourer and I have been after a good quality saloon or traveller for quite some time now ! I took a look at this one online some weeks ago now and just one glance at the timber was enough to put me off it. AS has been stated it's had a recent paintjob which even online pictures doesn't look too clever and the woodwork looks way past its
best ........ in my humble opinion. :D
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Thank you.

I thought the wood looked a little "dark" in places as if it had been wet. I agree, I don't like varnish. Should the finish be oiled? We are going to be passing within 10 miles of the dealer next week, which is the only reason I found the car. I would like to buy a car which club members know if possible. I don't mind problems as long I know what they are and I'm not paying over the top. I'm not looking for cheap, just fair.

I thought about A35s but a little on the small side - I meant it when I said we don't travel light!

Any more thoughts very welcome

Regards

Ian
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome Ian!

Im also an Austin 10 owner, a 1936 sherborne. I quite agree with the 40mph limit, I went to Llandudno in it last year covering around 400 miles in a weekend, the car did me proud with the only problem being a choke cable which fell apart!

A traveller is a great choice. Ive had a couple and the one I have now I restored about 9 years ago. I also went to the National Rally last year in the traveller coving about 700 odd miles, much easier than in a pre war!

I would recommend getting involved with your local branch as well as people they will know of local cars for sale and can maybe assist. There are plenty of minors out there, have a good look at a few before you splash out.

Happy Hunting!
Attachments
image033.jpg
image033.jpg (151.08 KiB) Viewed 3529 times

Too many Minors so little time.....
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Surprising (or is it?) that there seem to be quite a few people with Minors and Austin tens. Hopefully I'll become one soon,but you are right that a good look around is in order.

Regards

Ian
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I have an Austin 7 RTC sports special, but am looking to sell it and buy a Traveller if anyone is interested.

Phil
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I've always used Danish oil on the wood, seems ok for a garaged car. Osmo oil gets great reviews.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Phil

If you are successful in your quest for a traveller, and come across 2 good ones, please let me know.

Regards

Ian
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Had another look at the advert I mentioned in the first post and can see the patched wood.

Just for my future reference for when I go to see a car, am I right in that, with the exception of the wood around the wheelarch which is in 3 parts, all other wooden members should be one-piece?

Regards

Ian
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

That's how mine is. Butt joined wood, as shown in the pictures, is a bit of a botch really. And the dark patches may,or may not, be a problem. Could be cosmetic or serious. And the new varnish could be an attempt to cover up wet rot in the ash. Hard to tell from the photos. I'd really want to give that wood a hard poke with something sharp, but you have to be careful these days...
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Oh , and the back offside wing looks creased at the top.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

If i was going to buy a traveller i would take someone along who knows them well, There are plenty around that look nice but when you get close up have poor woodwork, I would look at buying a car from a long term careful owner rather than a garage but that is just me, The last one i looked at for my cousin was OK but the dealer said it just needed a new wood frame, The dealer said it was not a big job, I found him a better car on car and classic website, it was the same price but had restoration picture and was owned buy a family for 30 years, my best advice is never rush into buying a classic, Hope you find a decent one.

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

The dealer said "changing the wood on a traveller is not a big job", he don't know much about car's then :o

Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Thank you all for the advice. Still looking. When I decide to travel to see one I'll post its picture to see if it is known to anyone.

Regards

Ian