Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dermot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

which type of glovebox.

Post by dermot »

iIhave removed both my glovebox linings(1969 model). They are in need of replacement. Which is better, the original type or the new fibreglass ones. They cost about the same. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
Dermot- lives in N Ireland. Drives a 1969 Dublin built 4 door black called Henry (any colour you like....) Fighting the temptation to spend too much!!!
Cam

Post by Cam »

Original should be fine and is what the car should have. Why go for fibreglass?
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

Well, the only reason would be drips! My last gloveboxes let water drip through them (cardboard). I have of course fixed the leak first!
Dermot- lives in N Ireland. Drives a 1969 Dublin built 4 door black called Henry (any colour you like....) Fighting the temptation to spend too much!!!
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I'd guess they might be easier to fit/harder wearing/stay smarter longer. Where can you get them? I'd like to see some pics.
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

you can get them from mgm spares http://www.mgm-spares.co.uk/featuredlinks.asp (sorry i'm not sure how to hyperlink). they are black only. I only thought of them because my cardboard ones were dusty.
kimg
Minor Friendly

Post by kimg »

hi
dusty mine too
more like powdery
id like some nice maroon felt bits

kim
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

Maroon felt bits? Seem to have hyperlinked automatically. Cool! :)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Sorry Cam, those look a lot beter than the cardboard one to me! Not cheap, but I'll have a pair of them. The originals seem to always have water stains on them, and to (searches for word...) 'delaminate' and separate into the original pieces. It'd be nice to have one 'box without the inevitable sheet of dirty white card hanging down into it...
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Dermot, Andrew,

I'd think you're right - they lok a bit smarter, but....

How do you fit the driver's one without removing the steering column/wheel? I can just about wriggle the card one out (loosening the column bolts), but these won't flex at all.

Colin
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

i think my steering wheel needs to come off anyway colin. BTW does the socket minisport sells (for removing mini steering wheels obviously) fit the minor. i am having difficulty finding a socket to fit
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Good question - Halfrauds sell a deep reach socket which is fine for the death trap ,wheel, haven't tried on a safety wheel yet. Lots of folk reckon on a punch and hammer to loosen the nut, apparently, worth a go if you're stuck. Can't remember the size of the nut off the top of my head, sorry.
Last edited by bigginger on Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
woo
Minor Fan

Post by woo »

I bought one of the MGM Fibreglass Gloveboxes for my passenger side. As has been posted they are black. I covered the inside of mine with beige felt to match the colour of the original interior and also because I thought the fibreglass might 'drum' with some of the heavier objects I put in it. I had to drill the hole for the speedo removal also.

It fits ok and in use it's fine. To be honest, I don't see any real advantage in it over the original 'cardboard' type, and as they are the same price and, for me, the fibreglass box needed covering since I didn't want to keep the black interior, I will go for the cardboard ones next time (if ever)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It struck me they'd be better for mounting CD players/radios/instuments in pods/speakers too
woo
Minor Fan

Post by woo »

It struck me they'd be better for mounting CD players/radios/instuments in pods/speakers too
I have a Radio/CD mounted in the 'cardboard' glove compartment on the drivers side of my car. The radio is attached to a perspex stand that is bolted to the bottom of the glovebox. It's pretty sturdy.

In the end either one will do the job and in my opinion you won't be making a mistake whichever type you go for. Just follow your heart! 8)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Will do - I guess most people don't use their Mogs as often as I do (I don't have any other car), and probably don't keep as much stuff in the driver's box as I do - fags, lighter, parking change, sweeties, you know the sort of thing - so probably don't wear them out so much by constantly reaching in and out of them
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The size socket you need is 1-5/16" AF and DSN list it under their tools section.
http://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

thank you kievi. BTW my "heart" has gone for the cardboard types. The cream card will look better in the open box on the drivers side. with it removed there is a black hole effect and the fibreglass one would be similar
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Halfrauds sell a deep reach socket which is fine for the death trap ,wheel, haven't tried on a safety wheel yet.
All you need is a 33mm socket - available from Halfords (even on a bank holiday weekend). It doesn't need to be a deep socket either.
The nut is the same between the early and later wheel so the same socket is fine.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

The nut is recessed more on the safety wheel, but I'm sure Ray's right . he's (I imagine) taken one off, and I've only done the death trap ones!
a
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

got the nut from my steering wheel in front of me and yes mine is 33mm across as well

i borrowed the correct socket tool from a local mechanic (*waves* hi John :D )

juliet
10 days into major strip-down of van 8)