Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Poor starting after a few weeks

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It’s not hard if you follow the instruction book carefully.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Before you do the ignition, I would suggest that you check the operation of the thermostat. Unless you can get the engine up to and keep it at normal working temperature no matter what you do the engine will not be efficient.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

When you do the thermostat I’d suggest not needing to use the car for a few days. This is because the alloy thermostat housing cover is sometimes so badly stuck to the cast iron cylinder head that they are practically welded together. Sometimes the alloy is damaged in removing the housing and needs replacing. It has happened twice to me.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

There is no way I would be messing around with fitting (or trying to fit) a new thermostat unless needed.

OP states his use is almost all short trips. He likely has no real idea if the engine is heating at the expected rate.

It is clear to most, whether the thermostat is seriously stuck open, by checking for flow at lower engine temperatures.

There are different thermostats available.

A simple check, rather than spending unnecessary time snd effort, plus cost, would be to remove the fan (NOT the belt) and feel the radiator as the engine warms. A decent means of temperature measurement would, of course, be advantageous.

Of course, it can be ‘all good fun’ pulling your engine to pieces. I don’t particularly subscribe to that mentality. If it’s not broke I don’t try to fix it. Regular checking and timely maintenance is perfectly adequate.
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

In a smiliar vain if you need to change the points I would not take the dizzy off the car. Its relatively easy to swap in situ, and avoids other issues that could go wrong if you remove the dizzy