Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alfie austin
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller rear doors security ?…

Post by alfie austin »

Hello,
I’ve only just realised that if you remove the two wood screws, fixing on the Traveller rear doors locking handle, the whole thing can be rotated to simply open the doors. As I use the vehicle as everyday transport, perhaps I’ll be more cautious about what I put in the back (even though it might be covered up and out of sight). Anyone made it more secure ?.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller rear doors security ?…

Post by svenedin »

You could use screws with tamper proof heads. As the owner of a convertible I accept my car is as secure as a tent……
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

We also made a shelf from two pieces of wood covered in fabric held up by a vertical piece of wood.The two top ones have two bolts inter locking them .Not easy make but stops your shopping being seen .
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

svenedin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:37 pm As the owner of a convertible I accept my car is as secure as a tent……
Except a tent has a roof up all the time unless you get hit by storms :lol:

Since thieves are quite willing to roll under a car, cut off the catalytic converter and then make off with it in a very short space of time, I'd imagine that while tamper proof screws etc. may deter an opportunist, someone with the tools will just happily damage your car further to access it.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Chief wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:42 am
svenedin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:37 pm As the owner of a convertible I accept my car is as secure as a tent……
Except a tent has a roof up all the time unless you get hit by storms :lol:

Since thieves are quite willing to roll under a car, cut off the catalytic converter and then make off with it in a very short space of time, I'd imagine that while tamper proof screws etc. may deter an opportunist, someone with the tools will just happily damage your car further to access it.
I think all you can do is deter an opportunist. Anybody determined enough will get in. Same with houses especially in the era of cordless power tools.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, the more you secure it, the more a determined thief will damage trying to break in.
I had a mechanic friend who used to leave all the cars on his site unlocked, in case of a break in, for this very reason.
Of course the best deterrent for thieving scumbags is the application of a baseball bat....... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

alfie austin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 pm Hello,
I’ve only just realised that if you remove the two wood screws, fixing on the Traveller rear doors locking handle, the whole thing can be rotated to simply open the doors.
Not quite correct really :wink:

When new/unworn the two tangs cast into the handle and the appropriate slots in the timber prevent the handle from rotating even with the screws removed....maybe its time for you to fit a new door rail? :wink:

Or you could fabricate a brass plate to replicate the worn away timber on yours and fix it in place under the lock out of view..

Here is the original cutout..

Door lock cutout 2.jpg
Door lock cutout 2.jpg (391.82 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Taupe
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

When new/unworn the two tangs cast into the handle and the appropriate slots in the timber prevent the handle from rotating even with the screws removed
That's interesting, I have just removed mine to change the barrel (the little tag on the back had snapped off the old barrel, preventing it from locking the doors), I didn't see any locating tangs when I had it off and I don't see any on the back in this picture (below) of a new one, from a well known supplier.
Maybe they're not using the original casting?
I assume they'd be either side of where the handle passes through the baseplate? Do you have a picture of your one with these tangs Taupe?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Morris Minor Traveller rear door handle.jpg
Morris Minor Traveller rear door handle.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 490 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

heres one from ebay listing....Ive seen a few variations...

Lock.jpg
Lock.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 474 times
File up a brass plate something like this and screw to the wood under the lock if your timber is damaged...

Lock 2.jpg
Lock 2.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Taupe