Help with clutch

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tommyd
MMOC Member: No

Help with clutch

Post by Tommyd »

Hi just put a recon engine in traveller I.I replacing a 986. Engine stats OK but cant get gears lots of grating. Question is is the clutch different in a 1.1 to a 986. It seemed to mate ok with engine and clutch was lined up OK, and looked good on inspection. I have taken slack out of pedal but makes no difference. Any help advice would be most welcome Tom
Morris Traveller 1966
kevin s
Minor Legend

Re: Help with clutch

Post by kevin s »

The 1098 clutch, flywheel and engine backplate, are all different, that said if you have re-used all the components from the origiinal engine it should work, Is it possible you have put the disc in the wrong way round?
Tommyd

Post by Tommyd »

Will be tacking gearbox out to morrow just a quick one the clutch plate if I am right have the flatter inner spline to engine and the more razed end towards gearbox or have i got this wrong Many thanks Tom
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

The plates are usually marked near the centre to show which way round they go. All the plates I’ve seen have this feature.
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg (149.94 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Could be one of the pressure plate ‘finger’ springs has been knocked adrift during fitting. Can you see from the inspection hole at the gearbox whilst someone turns the engine by hand.
Tommyd

Post by Tommyd »

Hi all thanks for help. I replaced clutch with new kit adjusted as required and now all working well. A spring had come adrift as was suggested. Although clutch was average it was worth putting in new kit save any problems. Thanks again Tom