Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sarahfitz
MMOC Member: Yes

Best cover for Morris Minor Convertible

Post by Sarahfitz »

Hi
I am no longer able to garage my moggy convertible. Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced but effect car cover
Thank you
dudload
Minor Fan

Re: Best cover for Morris Minor Convertible

Post by dudload »

halfords ones probably aren't the absolute best - however they do the job perfectly well and are completely waterproof. small size is perfect

only shame is that they changed the colouring from a nice grey colour to a horrible shiny silver a couple of years ago, but doesn't matter too much really
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

This question comes up often. I really don’t like car covers. I had to use one years ago and it accelerated corrosion rather than prevented it. The cover creates a horrible environment that traps moisture and the car “sweats”. You could not ask for a more corrosive environment (an exaggeration). The car would be better off in just a car port or some kind of tent garage with plenty of ventilation. Consider renting a garage.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

sometimes that just isn't viable (i.e. on street only car parking in the vast majority of central london)

Over winter i put moisture absorbing bags in the car and make sure to take the cover off once it stops raining to avoid too high humidity. Can't see how keeping water out of the inside of the car (and off wood if a traveller) can be a bad thing, despite potentially higher humidity levels. Can also leave the windows ajar under the cover to keep air circulating.

all personal preference however!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The trouble is humid air (the humidity of almost always high in the UK) is trapped between the car and the cover. When the temperature drops overnight a dew of water droplets forms on the car. Then when the temperature rises the dew evaporates to make an even more humid environment and then this repeats. That is without it even raining.

Stephen

Stephen
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

yup, agree it's no replacement for garaging, but when that's not an option is a case of humid air against sound paintwork or rain getting behind panels, into chassis legs and on top of the wood - much lesser of two evils for me!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes. My car is a convertible like the OP’s and they are really not very suitable for living outside. Even when I was an impoverished student, a long time ago, I rented a garage for the car.

Stephen

Stephen
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

can't speak for the OP, but when you live in central london you may as well just buy a brand spanking morris each year for the price of renting a garage:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/garage-parkin ... 1460611648
ba04ger
Minor Friendly

Post by ba04ger »

try Classic ADDITIONS NOT CHEAP BUT EXCELLENT QUALITIY AND MADE IN THE UK FABERIC IS BREATHABLE
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Check out Storm Force covers, not cheap but terrific quality.
Ideal for an outdoor car.😁

moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by moggiegeek »

Hi During last two years my moggie has lived outside.
I went for the best moderate priced cover I could.
It was tailored for moggie, has a non abrasive lining, was breathable and had a smart grey external cover. It also had adjustable straps below.
Although I've got no direct comparison I would say it's been very beneficial. I leave the windows open a bit and couple of plastic veg trays on roof and bonnet to prevent fabric on wet paint.
Believe I sourced it on eBay by specifically looking for Morris minor saloon cover.