Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plg422d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1275cc conversion in a Minor

Post by plg422d »

Well the restoration is coming on a pace but I've hit a few snags with the 1275cc engine that I havefiited from an Ital.

Its all mated up to the gearbox but connecting up I've hit a few problems. The car has a heated manifold - I plan to by pass this - will this be a problem

The carb is a 1.75" SU - what accelator cable should I use?

What exhausts are available or is it a question of getting one made up.

If I used the original manifold and 1.25" SU would it fit?

Any help with these points would be appreciated

Mike
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The standard accelerator cable should do the job. If it's not long enough see if you can trim off some outer cable. if not then use a mountain bike brake cable trimmed to length.

There are exhausts available from most of the major Minor parts suppliers. Do a search for 'large bore' on their sites Also Maniflow produce a system. expect to pay £120 to £200 depending on which manifold/downpipe combination you choose.

The original 1.25 carb and manifold will fit but then engine is unlikely to run well and will certainly not be any advantage over a 1098. A compromise would be a mini manifold and matching 1.5" carb. Again not ideal but could be persuaded to run OK.

Good luck. I'm in the last stages of assembling an Ital engine in my Minor. Can't wait to get him back on the road! :wink:
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Cam

Post by Cam »

The Morris Minor centre in Birmingham (and others I suspect) do the accelerator cables for the HIF type carbs.

Bypassing (not using) the heated part of the inlet manifold is good practice anyway as it can cause fuel vapourisation problems. It's only there for economy. A lot of us (me included) have not connected it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - forget the heated part of the manifold - unless you live somewhere very cold and miserable !
Your car will run with the small carb - but it will be horribly strangled - it's not big enough for the 1098 engine, never mind a 1275 !
ImageImage
plg422d
Minor Fan

Post by plg422d »

Thanks for the help - going to keep the large SU anf have just bought a S/S exhaust to fit.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

The original 1.25 carb and manifold will fit but then engine is unlikely to run well and will certainly not be any advantage over a 1098.
It does give and advantage over the 1098, but you will be loosing some of the 1275's potential. You'll find it flying up hills.
A mini manifold will get you up to a 1.5" carb which will be good, but to unleash the real potential you want also a bigger exhaust. For which there's 2 options:
1) Marina manifold - then go for a big bore exhaust to suit (available off the shelf)
2) LCB manifold and exhaust - (available off the shelf and usually expensive). The LCB kit gives very good flow but looks a lot less subtle (eg if you are going to have your engine bay open at shows).
The marina manifold and uprated exhaust isn't immediately obvious as different but if you don't mind people thinking of you as a boyracer and you can afford it, then the LCB is best. As to which to choose - it's up to you at the ned of the day.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(