Door lock issues...... please help

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morotimo
MMOC Member: No

Door lock issues...... please help

Post by Morotimo »

Hi there, my name is Dan and have recently aquired a lovely moggy. I intend to renovate it to its former splendor but have a few small issues to deal with first.

Please help me as i have no idea where to start with this.

The car came with the ignition key, ...... and thats all. I have no door keys. Is there any where where you can get a set of keys to match the locks as i expect they only made 50 different sets, or where i can get new locks themselves.

Many thanks. Great site also.

DAN :lol:
Matt
Minor Legend

RE: Door lock issues...... please help

Post by Matt »

the ignition key should fit the doors, but not the boot. If you take the lock barrels out, sometimes you have a number on them, you can get keys made up from those numbers. If you are a member (which I highly advise) any of the suppliers in the magazine will have new lock barrels ect with keys...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Hi Dan,

My experience is that the ignition key fits the doors and the boot (I think that was how they were manufactured).

However, lots of things happen to the cars (replacement locks, new boot lids/doors/ignition switches) over the years.

You don't say where you are, but a trip to one of the main workshops/stores (check out the links page) will let them try all the versions they have (if needed) or you can get the keys by mail order if you know the code.
All the ones I've asked for parts (phone) have been very helpful and rapid in response.

It is quite possible for a lock cylinder to be changed to match a key (cheaper to buy a new barrel - which is why there can be a big variety!).

Obviously, there's a limit to how much information we should post here - it's a public board, so don't expect too much detail on security to be posted here (PM's may be more interesting).

All the best,

Colin
Willie
Minor Legend

keys

Post by Willie »

IF you are fortunate to have a local motor shop which has a large
bunch of keys which they will let you try in your car then that is a
the easiest solution.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Chris Morley

RE: keys

Post by Chris Morley »

Assuming you've got a later car, find someone with a large bunch of FS keys - I've only got 4 different numbered FS keys but I've been able to lock / unlock every abandoned Minor I've ever come across (because the locks are at best rudimentary). It's easy to change the bootlock but much harder to remove the doorlocks so it would be easier and cheaper to find a key that fits!
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bigginger
Minor Maniac

RE: keys

Post by bigginger »

Good of you to point that out to any thieves.. :D
a
Morotimo

door locks

Post by Morotimo »

Thanks for the inof guys. what a nice bunch you all are. :)

The ignition key does not fit in the door locks, or the boot. To be honest i think the locks need a bit of tlc. the handles are a bit lose and the passenger door needs to be reset as it rubs on the chasis when you open it.

This car is going under major work, including a new spray job and interior.

You guys got any tips on cleaning the interior roof material or getting seats recovered or replaced.

Damn i love that car.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Depends a lot on your budget, but Newton Commercial sell replacement seat covers in the same style as the originals and in the same colours.
Replacement headlining, and all the interior trim.

For something like headlining, if it doesn't come clean with normal vinyl cleaner, I'd suggest simply repacing it. Depends on if you want an original original, or whay.

(I think ESM also sell the Newton bits - and locks, keys etc )
Do check out the other suppliers as well.

All the best,

Colin
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Big Ginger wrote:
Good of you to point that out to any thieves..
Yes, your average scroat is really going to take my advice and purchase a selection of FS keys in order to nick a Minor! :lol: Or perhaps they'll just use a screwdriver... :roll:

Face facts - you can't stop a lowlife opening a minor's door or quarterlight unless you've upgraded from the lo-tech 1960s locks. :-? The trick is to ensure that the lowlife isn't able to drive the car away and that there's nothing in the car worth nicking in the first place!
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

What boot? I just keep mine so tatty nobody would want to nick them, and so badly maintained that there's no need for anything like switches or immobilisers to stop them from running...