So what do YOU want from the MMOC website?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: So what do YOU want from the MMOC website?

Post by lambrettalad »

I had to have 30 posts to use the pm ,on a merc site ,soon did it .It does show a commitment to the site :-? but a difficult one
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I would think maybe 10 would suffice as how it is now people come on and buy the cars and they are on ebay with a nice profit.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Maybe this is frivolous, but I'd like to see less white on the messageboard pages -- as I often use the site in a room with low lights, and the white is blinding after a fashion. Perhaps different color schemes that each individual could pick from -- or a color scheme set by the admins every month! :lol:

I especially like the idea of having a new area within "general discussion" containing the debates about brakes, etc. Debating ought to be encouraged, but sometimes it hijacks other threads. I am also very fond of the idea of having threads tagged for rapid searching.

It'd be handy also to have the "view new posts" option not just above the main listing of fora, but also next to "view your posts" in the grey band at the top of the page.

What exactly are friends and foes? Perhaps there could be some utility added to this -- group PMs, maybe. Probably this is just showing my ignorance though!

Finally, I'd like to see a modification of the simple search function (i.e., not advanced search) whereby the search was automatically conducted on topics rather than posts. I have never found any use in searching for specific posts (because any search brings up hundreds of them), and so every time I search I use advanced search, which adds a step. But perhaps other people have had different experiences.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

cyclomethicone
Minor Friendly

Re: So what do YOU want?

Post by cyclomethicone »

2) A feature whereby new members could have a trial period free, but thereafter posts could be made only by paid-up members of the MMOC.[/quote]

No thanks keep it free, or people will just make a new account each month for the free trial :-?
Why do you want to take our money anyways? If i wanted to be a member ill join the club and pay.
I dont think this would generate more club members anyway and if it did its wrong forcing people into having to pay to post.
Lee Kramer
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Re: So what do YOU want?

Post by theminorsite »

cyclomethicone wrote: No thanks keep it free, or people will just make a new account each month for the free trial :-?
Why do you want to take our money anyways? If i wanted to be a member ill join the club and pay.
I dont think this would generate more club members anyway and if it did its wrong forcing people into having to pay to post.
I don't think the post you quote was suggesting that anyone pay for access to the board, merely that only members of the MMOC (where you do have to pay) should be able to post on (most of) the forum. I wouldn't support the idea of paid membership to the board, but I certainly do support the idea that the large part of the messageboard should only be accessible by paid up members of the club itself and I'll be putting all my weight behind that policy being adopted. Of course there'll be exceptions, like an 'introduction' forum, and possibly the 'cars for sale' area, but otherwise I think you should have to be a member. Maybe we could allow 'read only access' to other parts, but not posting.

Why do the club "want to take your money anyway?" Well, because the services, including the website, that the club offers cost money to provide!
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Perhaps access to Vehicles for sale thread should be for MMOC members only. Do we really need links to auction ads elsewhere as we are fairly capable of searching that site ( unless club wants to integrate with referral fees to suitable cars for sale ).

I dont think the club can recommend service and parts suppliers , but perhaps modest , properly targeted paid adverts might be advantageous.

What could be useful , at some time , are some authorised , reworked BMC manuals , using the information gathered over the years. The manuals can be confusing ( see tubeless tyres discussion for example ) given the dates they were written and the changes in laws , materials and technology over time.
leafie

Post by leafie »

Comments on adds in the cars for sale section having to be passed by a moderator. The aim being to stop the regular negative comments that appear from people with no interest in buying the car but do manage to upset the seller and put off buyers. :roll:
MrDodo
Minor Friendly

Post by MrDodo »

Event listings in chronological order, I know that there's the Event forum http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=64 but this doesn't seem to be used for every event nor do the events appear in date order.

A summary on the home page:
Date Start/End Time Event Name Location MMOC Organised

With more detail on another page.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Ok then what are we going to get
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

I'm afraid it will be a while before anything that you can see will happen - it's not quite as easy as 'that sounds good, let's do it'! I did say Don't hold your breat!
Mike
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

leafie wrote:Comments on adds in the cars for sale section having to be passed by a moderator. The aim being to stop the regular negative comments that appear from people with no interest in buying the car but do manage to upset the seller and put off buyers. :roll:
Some ask for advice on a particular advertisement ,so why not say as you see ?

Seems to be a lot of worry about upsetting advertisers and not a lot about protecting members /buyers :roll:

moderators will almost always take the less risky road,as they perceive it
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I agree with Lambrettalad
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

http://www.morrisauctionwatch.com/

Could we have something like the above?

It filters everything out on ebay for just Morris enthusiast.

Or at the very least a link on the front page to it?
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

Can't really see how this is useful, to be honest. All it does is replicate what you get by going to ebay.co.uk and typing 'Morris Minor' in the search field!
Mike
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I've always found it useful.

Found it far more user friendly than ebay's search facility.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Larryb
Minor Friendly

Post by Larryb »

As far as the forum goes, I find that the format used by the Morris Minor Forum to be very user friendly and nicely searchable by topic. It can be seen at: http://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/

If possible, a section on repairs and renovation WITH photographs would be welcome. I am sure many owners would be happy to contribute information and photos.

Perhaps a list of members by location. I would like to hook up with other Traveller owners in Maine. Perhpas have a UK car rally.

Larry N Bailey
Port Clyde, Maine
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Has anyone mentioned a spell checker for on here yet??
(If so, ooops! But then I second the request.)
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Another thought has just occurred to me ( an increasingly rare event and one that should be made the most of!).
Maybe I stand alone and everyone else is far more organised than I, and probably much more knowledgeable too, but perhaps there should be a permanent feature, perhaps in the restoration section, that lists all the nuts and bolts required for each individual job involved in servicing or restoration?
I dismantled most of my Traveller over two decades ago and I know that some of the nuts/bolts/washers got bagged and labelled, but since then some have got lost, the labels have come off others and the rest were taken by the bolt pixies. It would be great to be able to just go to the local "Fastener Shop" and say I want a 3/4 inch AF bolt 1 1/2" long or whatever without having to hand over some rust-eaten,grease-covered offering with a rounded head and chewed threads and say " I want one like this!"
Could even say where they can be obtained from, especially in the case of some of the chromed screws used in the interior.
VERY mundane and boring, but everyone needs them at some time, especially when doing a full-blown restoration, and everyone who's done one knows what nuts and bolts are required for what!
Just an idea
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

what about being able to post photo's without having to put in some picture box , going to night school to do a computer course , or spending hours going through old copies of my pc , maybe mobile uploads .
And being allowed to swear in exceptional circumstances .
speed not tweed
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Consequently far I think this will work satisfactory & now noticed input of Kerry on a different encoder I might attempt - am wondering if down sampling from one thousand and eighty to Digital Versatile Disk decree can give mo' polite final consequences...)