Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gordiechris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MORRIS MINOR 1000-------HELP HELP

Post by gordiechris »

:o I have a huge question to ask. I have just purchased a lovely morris minor 1000 4dr saloon. The previous owner stated that he ran the car on unleaded fuel. can someone tell me if thisis the case? also how would i tell if its had the changes nessary that is needed to run on this fuel.

Also, i live in jersey, channel island where the number plate will be changed to our style plates but would i be able to keep the current one?? number plate is DTL357D
Willie
Minor Legend

unleaded

Post by Willie »

If it has a proper converted head for unleaded then the valve seats will have
been changed for a harder variety. If the car was run on unleaded in the
channel isles then I doubt that it would suffer any damage even on the original valve seats as it is usually higher speed use which ruins the seats
eventually. Many people run unleaded without modified heads and seem to
have no trouble.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
gordiechris
Minor Friendly

Post by gordiechris »

CHEERS Willie, 40mph speed limit on this lovely island so hpefully she will survive!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Not a huge question at all. Even if the exhaust valve seats do wear out eventually, it isn't all that expensive to upgrade to an unleaded head. Just check the tappet clearances regularly and watch out for the gaps closing up.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I run my car on unleaded all the time - no additives and no hard seats. At 40 mph max it will never trouble you.
ImageImage
johnm
Minor Fan

Post by johnm »

What will trouble in the islands is salt corrosion and the brakes seizing and and the exhaust pipe rotting!

I've used Minors in Alderney over the years and the only damage limitation you can do is:

Keep both body and underside as clean as possible and Dinitrol under the wings and into the box sections every autumn

Regularly remove the drums and check the brake cylinders will move freely. My technique for this is to have someone (in my case Mrs Johnm) in the car while I have one drum off and levers between backplate lip and brake shoes. Mrs Johnm then ever so gently presses the brake pedal until the shoes have moved a little beyond their normal travel against the levers. Then let go the pedal and hopefully the shoes will retract. If not it's new wheels cylinders. Also replace the brake fluid at least once a year, probably best to get garage to do this unless you are prepared to invest in the proper kit.

The exhaust is hopeless just expect to buy a new one every couple of years!

Good luck!
gordiechris
Minor Friendly

Post by gordiechris »

cheers for the advise johnm. I work in a garage so bleeding the brakes aint a problem.

does anyone know if i would be able to save the number plate as in jersey we aqre issued a plate with just numbers.

cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just buy a stainless exhaust ! And to keep the brakes moving leave the adjustment slightly slack so the pistons can move - and USE the brakes regularly - even with some left foot braking against the engine from time to time.
ImageImage