Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paulhumphries
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Adapting Maestro engine

Post by paulhumphries »

I've trawled though the old message but cann't seen anything about what is actually needed to fit a Maestro 1300 engine into a Minor.
I know the crank is wrong at clutch end but I'll come to that aspect later.
I'm got a spare 1098 engine for parts so am I right in assuming all that is needed is swopping of front plate to allow fitment into a Minor ?
I know the breathers will foul and need adapting but I'm interested in the initial installation at present.

From what I can see the normal way to tackle the crank problem is either machining or fitment of a Ital item.
I'm, however, going to be using an BW65 autobox - which is currently atatched to a Triumph Dolomite 1500 engine in my garage !
The BW65 is the same as the Ital unit so it's a good starting point to use what I already have.
I haven't checked but suspect the Triumph bellhousing will be different to Marina / Ital version for BW autobox.
As I've already found Marina / Ital autoboxes are like "hens hind teeth" so don't hold out much hope of finding one.

It's got me thinking therefore of making my own conversion.
I haven't thought it though properly yet but basically attach Triumph flexi plate to Maestro crank and then make an adapter plate out of plate steel or machined alloy if thicker than, say, 10mm.
I know it's not as simple as that but one of my hobbies is model engineering so understand the techinques required. My lathe / milling machine isn't big enough to do the work at home but I have access to industrial sized equipement as well as a "contact" for having plate laser cut from CAD drawings.

Paul Humphries.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I too would like to know about this ! Can't imagine the crank tail would be any different ? Front plate from 1098 will be ok - but then no provision for timing chain tensioner - so just fit duplex.
ImageImage
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

So then Minor owners can start depleting the world of maestros!
GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

The maesto crank at the flywheel end is differant to that of the Ital,
The rear flange is a good deal thicker,this will give room to machine it down to match an ital Item
The locating pin and bolt holes are differant also.
And finally the rear main bearing cap does not house the oil thrower but is totally inside the sump.
JLH can help as I think he has converted this type of unit in the past....
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ah - so it's more like a Mini 1275 block then - and surprised they would bother to change the crank tail - but if it's so then it's so! Makes me wonder now if my 2 spare cranks are Marina or Maestro!!
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
nebogipfel
Minor Fan

Post by nebogipfel »

Ratbag wrote:So then Minor owners can start depleting the world of maestros!
Which can be no bad thing :lol:
John

1969 S4 Lotus Elan
1955 SII Traveller

Opinions expressed are of course, my own :)
wanderinstar
Minor Addict

Post by wanderinstar »

Aren't we all missing something. I thought Maestro's were front wheel drive. If so the rear of the crank will not fit RWD box.
Or am I wrong?
Ian.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It used a VW in-line gearbox with diff output - like all modern fwd cars.
ImageImage
GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

If you use a miget backplate it would mate to a moggy box,it's the flywheel thats the problem..
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

You use the 1098 backplate modified, a modified Maestro alloy back plate a bespoke flywheel and need to machine the crank for a spigot bush to take either Ford or Minor gearboxes.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So Jonathon - do you have a conversion that would allow me to use a Mini 1275 block (with Spridget crank of course) in my Minor ? The obvious problem is the rear main bearing seal - which the Mini block does not have.
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

In short no. We developed the Maestro modification kit several years ago when we were lucky to purchase 20 brand new motors. Most of these went into minis, the remainder Minors and Midgets. We have now ceased this kit, but a limited amount of conversions can be done until our stock of parts have been depleted. We no longer intend to produce limited kits for any A series, prefering to concentrate our efforts on our current range of upgrades and a few new projects to be undertaken next year. :wink:
Last edited by jonathon on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - that's that idea stuffed then !! Thanks for the reply.
ImageImage