brake servo vacuum take off

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tictac1cars
MMOC Member: No

brake servo vacuum take off

Post by tictac1cars »

Hello out there....have obtained brake servo and want to know where I can connect the vacuum pipe to? Do I need to drill into the inlet manifold? If so, where can I get a fitting from? Thanks for your help, all gratefully received.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Minor is a small car - and doesn't need a brake servo!! It won't make the brakes any better - just cuts the load on your leg. If you are determined to fit it - then yes you need to drill and tap the inlet manifold and put in a connection - a 1/4" bspt fitting will do - as long as it has a hose tail connection fitting. However - you need to remove the manifold from the car to do this because swarf will inevitably fall inside the manifold and get drawn into the engine if you try to do it 'in situ'. So it's turning into quite a job - and you still have to re-arrange the brake pipes - which is extra tricky if you want the servo to work on all 4 wheels, easier if it's just the fronts. My advice - sell the servo!
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
andyreeder
Minor Friendly

Post by andyreeder »

Sorry to disagree :oops: But I fit a servo to my moggy and it has improved the braking immensely.

I think it was well worth the effort. GO FOR IT :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The brakes will be just the same - you just need to push less ! But it's a personal thing - for me, it's too much hassle. My nice big Wolseley drums stop the car time after time with no great leg effort, and certainly no fade even in extremis !!
ImageImage