Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

HIF top up.

Post by Peetee »

Inside the dashpot of the HIF44 there is a central reservoir and an area around this (kind of a dashpot within a dashpot) do i fill both with oil?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Just the centre hole Pete, you only need 3 or 4 drips of 3-in-one in there
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The extra will just dribble down inside and find it's way in to the engine - smokey start up ! You may find 3in 1 a bit too thin - it's what i'm using in my HIF 44 on a 1360 Mini - it 'gasps' slightly at each gearchange - but then it makes a glorious Weber-like noise as it soars up the rev range !! May need slightly thicker oil - but meantime I'm living with it.
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I must admit I tend to use either engine oil or 3 in 1, but of course the correct product is available.
http://www.burlen.co.uk/sidelinkSearch. ... eLinkID=25
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Thanks folks. I'm getting to the end of my tether on this one. I've wound the mixture screw in (damn it's in an awkward place :evil: ) and it's still running rich. Ideally I wanted a rolling road sesh but I've been quoted £180!! Aparently this bloke is so much in demand now he can charge what he likes - last time I went was 8 years ago and it cost £78.
Good job i've got a spare 1098; I might be using it soon :roll: . Now where did I put that 12G295 head?.......No No... must.... resist...... m.m.m.mmodifications.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

<vader>do not resist the Dark Side, you must go faster!</vader>
:-)

I'll ask you about this rolling road chappie tonight. I think a session for the Trav might prove useful.

And if you're thinking of taking out the bigger engine...
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

ARRRRGGGGG!
I've just driven him a couple of miles round the block and he seemed very perky but on three diferent occasions whilst idling at junctions the revs dropped through the floor and no application of the throttle would stop it from dying after about 5 - 10 seconds.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

I wonder if you've got a float/ needle valve/ jet problem?

Might be time to pull the carb and check it properly - A sticky needle valve or holed (or possibly sticking?) float might cause your problems.

It's easy to strip the bottom of a HIF, and probably the best thing to do given your ongoing problems :)
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Could this problem be damp related? I did have the plugs/leads disconnected overnight and when I first started up it sounded like it was missing on 1 cylinder.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's overrich at idle could be a flooding problem from the float chamber. Also - is the needle correctly seated in the piston ? The jet could be worn too - this happens with the spring loaded needle which rubs against it all the time - new jet might help. Finally - what needle is in there ? It doesn't matter at idle - they are all much of a muchness at that point in the needle profile - but still interesting to know.
ImageImage