Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
malminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

young club members

Post by malminor »

My daughter has been a club member for a year now, she is only 17 but has a genuine passion for the Morris Minor.
WE have restored a 1971 2 saloon for her, she has welded, assembled and painted with my supervision, and the end result is a very respectable car, that should last her years, she has just passed her driving test, (first time) I bet I couldn't given the difficulty of the new tests.
Insurance time! the club prefered insurance provider quoted just under £800, for a £3000 value car, garaged, alarmed to the hilt, max 3000 miles,
club memeber etc, OK we got a bit carried away with the restoration but that isn't good for encouraging younger owners.
shop around time!.
I got a quote for the car as a banger/ just roadworthy for less than half the quote, and I appreciate the car is worth more now, but it's a dam sight safer to be in.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

£800 sounds cheap to me and under £400 is fantastically good for a 17 year old new driver. Just be thankful she's female and it isn't a modern car that's even slightly sporty or you'd most likely be looking at premiums that cost more than the car is worth. And people wonder why there are so many uninsured "boy racers" on the roads?
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

It's always good to hear about new young members, and feel sure you will be able to find an insurance company that can provide a reasonable quote.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

malminor, sounds like your daughter is a fabulous club member, hope she is able to share her experience, maybe via an article in the Club magazine? More power to her elbow and long may her saloon run and give her joy and happiness :D

wibble xx
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

Hi there,just to add my bit,im a 19 yr old Minor driver,and do all my own work on it,my insurance is £343 a year,value £2000,third party fire and theft,not bad seeing as i only passed my test in Feb of this year!

CXW
Minor Friendly

Post by CXW »

Similarly, I'm a bit older at 27, but only got my UK driving licence in August and (unsurprisingly) the insurance companies don't recognise my other licence that I've held for 6 years as it's a Kyrgyzstani one, so I thought AON's £490 fully comp with an agreed value of £1500 with on-road parking in Birmingham was excellent. Certainly far better than anything I could get on even the most basic modern car.
Jasper, 1957 4-door saloon, running restoration project & financial black hole. Scruffy but increasingly reliable.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2471484985_e7bcb6eb36_m.jpg[/img]
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

mine was 330, im 21 and have one years no claims. it seemed reasonable, but im going to shop a bit harder next time. (my insurance on my last car was 1100!! thats the sporty thing alex holden was talking about!)
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Im 16, 17 in January, and despite devoting as much spare time as i have to the Mog it looks like im not going to be finished by January :cry: So, lucky old me, im going to have to purchase some modern heap of crud to drive around in until the mog is finished.
Interestingly i have done some hunting around for insurance quotes, and most are over a grand.....but this is on my own policy, and tpft at that!
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

I got my insurance for my car on my 18th Birthday, with the car valued at £2500, Third Party Fire and theft NO alarms and kept on a driveway Footman James quoted me £400!!!!! Of course this is the quote I used as it was very cheap!

Footman James dont quote drivers under the age of 21 on the website so you need to ring them up! so far they have been fantastic and the cover is very good!

One tip you might think about it adding an older driver? By adding an extra driver i.e. parent the insurance company assumes that this other dirver will be driving the car for 50% of the time, therefore 50% of the time the car will be driven by an experienced driver with hopefuly a clean record :o :D
The discount is bigger than you might think!! it almost cut my quote in half!

Good luck and I hope its on the road soon!!
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Young Insurance

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Try AOn with with the young person as a named driver, my mate is 21 and his brother 18 and they have 2 Minor saloons insured very reasonably with there Father also on the policy.

My first Minor Insurance in 1993 was £850....... Thankfully its much better now 5 Minors for around £400 and one of them is listed as everyday car, with no limited miles. :D
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

I found AON to be considerably more expensive than footman james even for a 30yo driver.
CXW
Minor Friendly

Post by CXW »

AON might be more expensive, but Footman James won't insure anyone on their own policy who has held a full licence for less than 2 years.
Jasper, 1957 4-door saloon, running restoration project & financial black hole. Scruffy but increasingly reliable.

Tris
Minor Fan

Post by Tris »

Mine was 660 quid on my own policy with AON, that was on my 17th birthday, but a year later it was 700 sadly. I hope this year it will drop as ive held my full license over a year now. I need to buy a new headlight sometime soon too... :lol:

Look no "L" plates! :D
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Mine didn't drop when I renewed it on my last car, but shortly after I purchased another of similar value and they quoted £290 rather than £350. Not bad at 19 (nearly 20 so its second year now).
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Footman James won't insure anyone on their own policy who has held a full licence for less than 2 years.
As quoted from CXW.

My brother is 18, and has his policy with Footman James, firstly as a provisional driver to learn and now past as a full driver a couple weeks ago. They would only insure him on his own policy so would seem they have no limit anymore.

I am currently with Adrian flux, when I took the policy out they would only accept credit cards as payment. Ok what ever as long as I get cover. Big ploy, renwal time has arrived and I get a letter saying "renewal is automatic and my credit card is being charged, your new documents are enclosed, thank you for renewing with us."
Should they be allowed to do this???
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Robins wrote: I get a letter saying "renewal is automatic and my credit card is being charged, your new documents are enclosed, thank you for renewing with us."
Should they be allowed to do this???
check the small print of your original agreement with them? :o
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

I think they are supposed to notify you a couple of weeks before the renewal is due,giving you time to cancel if you are not satisfied.
53buick
Minor Friendly

Post by 53buick »

The girl next door saved £200 going from a 1992 fiesta to a moggy 2 door.
She loves it and for a 19 year old, does all her own repairs etc.
I am trying to persuade her to join the forum and the club.
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

No, They shouldn't. You have not agreed to make that second payment and if they have taken it then it is fraudulent (I would suggest you check your paperwork very very carefully) Aproach them and tell then you are unhappy. If they are awkward approach your card provider. If its a credit card you have a very good chance of getting the money back, if its a debit card you might have to work a little harder.

CXW
Minor Friendly

Post by CXW »

Robins - interesting, seeing as I was told on two separate occasions in the last month that they wouldn't insure me... I'm wondering what the difference is, seeing as they checked how long I'd held my licence even before they took my postcode.

Very sneaky to automatically renew, would also like to know if it's permissible.