Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Axolotl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Car transporters?

Post by Axolotl »

Any thoughts on getting my Traveller transported from Reading to the north of Scotland?

We're holidaying in Applecross (Wester Ross) next year, and I know the roads and scenery would suit the Traveller, but the drive up and back is just too far to contemplate.

I've thought about having the car transported there and back, so we can use it "locally", but I've no idea whether that's possible, or what it might cost.

Has anyone done this sort of thing, or can you reccommend any car transporting companies?
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Would cost a fortune I'd think.
Not that bad a drive up sureley if you did it over a few days and made it an extension to the holiday.
There are quite a lot of removal companies that go south to north every week with lorries that can load cars, last vehicle i moved between bristol and here was £600 ish IIRC.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

A one way transportation cost from East Sussex to Central Scotland in 2003 was £500
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

I'd certainly say go for it - extend the holiday, or make it a little shorter at the destination. You could have an old-style touring holiday, stopping at B&Bs on the way, touring the A-roads on the way to Scotland.

That would, for me, make more sense (and a whole lot more fun) than having to mix it with the lorries and thunder up the motorways.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Yes Indeed. Mobile phone and an AA/RAC card is all you need. If you don't break down great, if you do, have the AA truck you to your next port of call.

Minors are uber reliable in any case. From the Lake District to Applecross, the West Coast drive is great.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just avoid the motorways - and rely on that breakdown insurance. If you have it - you won't need it. Also - if you do hit problems in Scotland, plenty of willing help available if you need it! PM me for my phone number if you want it. Be aware of long steep hill at Applecross!
ImageImage
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Make sure that you have good AA cover - mine's the cheapest possible and that only covers me if I'm 10 miles from home. It's okay for me because a) I never go far and b) Phyllis usually manages to conk out near my house!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Definately drive the minor there, a good service before you go and full AA cover. I can highly recommend AA as they have got me home or going on a few occasions. Always carry a good spares kit too!! Petrol pump, points and plugs and full set of hoses. :)

Too many Minors so little time.....
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Isn't it a shame that motorrail and sleeper trains have gone. I would have suited that bygone age!!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

I had a car I sold moved a distance for delivery the buyer and cheapest I could find was approx £1 per mile (one way).

Paul Humphries
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Definately drive the minor there, a good service before you go and full AA cover. I can highly recommend AA as they have got me home or going on a few occasions. Always carry a good spares kit too!! Petrol pump, points and plugs and full set of hoses. :)
Yes, I've been in the AA for years and they have consistently been excellent on the rare occasions I've had to call them (more for modern cars than the Traveller).

But to get back on topic- yes £1 a mile is the cheapest going rate for car transportation. So a round trip of 1000 miles to Scotland would cost £1000, even at todays ridiculous petrol prices, a Minor should make the journey for a little over £100 in petrol.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like transporters would be too expensive.

I'll put the possibility of taking extra holiday and driving in stages there and back to SWMBO. So far, she has resisted all invitations to long trips in the Minor because she finds the passenger seat uncomfortable because she can't straighten her legs. (I can't straighten mine on the driver's side either, but apparently that doesn't matter :roll: )

I too wish that Motorrail still existed. It's only since I got the Minor that I can see its benefits.

I know the Bealach na Ba (The Pass of the Cattle) route to Applecross, since we've been several times in other cars. I believe it is the highest pass in the UK that goes from sea level up to the top (2,300 feet) and straight back down to sea level again. Last time we were there, they had a charity cycle race over it. I'm sure we'd make it in the Minor.

Anyway, there's always the coast route. That's flatter.

I may end up driving there on my own, while SWMBO goes by air.

We'll see.
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I may end up driving there on my own, while SWMBO goes by air.
that's certainly one sensible option.

Alternatively, get hold of a saab passenger seat and mount it far enough back for SWMBO to stretch her legs and the journey will be quiet (Saab seats are quite nice for sleeping in).
If you're a purist, you can always fit the original seat back in after the holiday/s.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Take out the passenger seat. SWMBO can sit on the rear seat and stretch the legs as far as is wanted.