manifolds & exhausts

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alasdair
MMOC Member: No

Post by Alasdair »

i am led to belive that a manifold from a metro will fit onto the moggy engine, if i fit one will i have to fit a new carb and air filter or can i use the old carb and filter. And the exhaust end i am wanting to keep the maifold exit in the spearate 2 so i can have a coustom exhaust system (ie a twin tail pipe at the rear of the car). is this possible to get as a kit or will i have to build my own, if i have to change the carb will i get more power from a carb from a 1300 cc metro or will i be best off getting an 1100 cc carb
Cam

Post by Cam »

Yes, the metro manifold will fit, but the aftermarket exhaust systems require a transverse engine to mate the downpipes to the manifold. The best bet is to get a 3-branch manifold which will flow better anyway, and an appropriate exhaust system.

For the inlet, get hold of an alloy inlet manifold for a mini (or metro) which will take a 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" carb depending on what you want, using an 1 3/4" carb on a 1098 will not be any better than the 1 1/2" one, but the original minor 1 1/4" tends to be a bit restrictive, so loose it if you can.

If you are running the standard 1098, then a HS4 (or HIF4) 1 1/2" carb will be more than sufficient, these can be obtained from 998 or 1098 minis (or 998 metros). If you get the 998 carb then change the needle for the 1098 one (or use a AAM needle), although setting the engine up on a rolling road will produce better results (although more expensive!).

If you can get one then use a K&N type filter correct for the carb, this removes the originality but improves performance.

This done, you should get about a 10-15% power increase (optimally) I have done this in the past and you CAN notice the difference!!

Hope this helps.
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
The Carbs have been explained.
Exhaust; It is based on the exhaust pipe length from valve head to first Silencer or Junction where they join up.
The "A" series is governed by a "siamised" port. This makes for poor Exit. So the only way to improve is to have a Long centre system. You have to have some sort of o/lap on "Pulses". The answer is to find an 8 Port head! or even a X-Flow one. Both used in racing/rallying, Very expensive!
If you look at an F1 car you will see, in an effort to "Tune" the Exhaust a "Spaggetti" appearance is the usual result? Mostly going into One Pipe!
To get a true twin Exit, you really need 4 Ports or 8, a la Ford.
I used to make my own. This involved starting off with about each port having 52" of pipe, then going round Silverstone sawing off an 1" at a time! I remember the 998cc Ford was 42" ultimate! My apoligies for going back in time.......Ivor...........
Cam

Post by Cam »

Hi, the 3-branch system I was referring to is a LCB (Long Centre Branch) system made specifically for the Minor.

This is available from the Morris Minor Centre in Birmingham for about £70 (and probably a lot more places!).

They also do a stainless steel 2-piece exhaust system which is ideal for an 1100 or 1300 in a standard state of tune (as the pipe diameter seems about right for the scavenging of the exhaust gasses), but it is a bit restrictive for a reasonably tuned 1275 based engine producing about 100BHP or so.

It is worth bearing in mind what you intend doing to the engine in the long run (if anything) and then buying an exhaust system to suit.

But the 3-branch LCB manifold with a matching stainless system is probably a good choice for most minors.

It is also worth mentioning that going for a very large 'big bore' system is not worth doing as the increased diameter reduces the exhaust particle velocity and therefore reduces the scavenging effect which reduces power! Good luck, and above all have FUN!!
Alasdair

Post by Alasdair »

thanx guys

happy minoring