Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

hif 38 carb

Post by cadetchris »

well, im back with more carb problems.

having got sick of the saga of the hif44 carb, i reverted back to the standard 1 1/4 su. this wasn't running right and it annoyed me as well, so i found a nice hof38 carb from a mini 1000.

i though it simple to whip off the standard carb, bolt on the hif38, connect up the pipes and whey hey.

nothing, a flat battery and no igniton.

checked the pipes where connected to the right holes, which was a yes
fuel=yes
linkages right = yes

but still no firing.

owing to me actually needing the car at 0540 tomorrow, i removed that carb and reinstated the original and instantly igniton and a working car.

so was went wrong?
i checked the jets and they where clear, i checked the needle and that was straight
i put the mixture screw right in, so it as level with the top, then wound it down 2 turns

having done all of this and tried the mixture at all sorts of different levels, still nothing.

so directions would be appreciated
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: hif 38 carb

Post by bmcecosse »

Can't see carb being in any way related to flat battery and no ignition! Let's see a picture of the carb...... and - was the piston able to rise easily - and fall with a clunk ?
ImageImage
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

ill take a photo tomorrow.

the piston rises smoothly and falls with a nice clunk.

the reason why the battery was dead as i ran it down trying in vain to get it started, but there was a definite spark,

so the car ran with the original carb on it and with this hif38 carb on, it didn't
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - right. And you had the fuel connection to the correct pipe on the carb ?[frame]Image[/frame] Which would be port # 4 - 5 being the overflow/vent and 6 being the suction from the rocker cover breather!
ImageImage
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

yep, i had the petrol inlet to the bottom of the 3 pipes. i learnt that lesson with the carb and couldnt figure it out until i looked in the haynes su carb manual.
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

"I checked the jets"...........Did you take the bottom plate off the carburettor? If it is of unknown heritage, it could have been standing full of all sorts of muck. I've had a couple that looked fine until I looked inside. Other than that it MUST fire if it has fuel in the chamber which can get to the main jet unobstructed. The choke arrangement on these can also get silted up if stood uncared for, but even with no choke she should fire up this weather. When you finally get her going, you may find the ADS needle works a little better than the ADP which you probably have in that spec carb. The ADS is a little richer.
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

when i checked the jet, i had the bottom plate off, jet out and cleaned it down in paraffin. i also had the float off to make sure the whole thing was totally clean.

i have considered the needle, i just need to get the thing running first
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can always squirt in a bit of petrol - down the inlet - and it MUST run then, even if just for a few seconds. But doing that may clear it's tubes and it will be fine after.
And - are you SURE you put the jet/float etc back in correctly ??
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

when i checked the jet, i had the bottom plate off, jet out and cleaned it down in paraffin. i also had the float off to make sure the whole thing was totally clean.

i have considered the needle, i just need to get the thing running first
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

ill give the squirt down the bore method ago tomorrow when i have time in the evening,