Informing DVLA

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
granneb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Informing DVLA

Post by granneb »

What is the general opinion regarding modifications and the DVLA

Is it a legal requirement to tell them about any engine size changes, 5 speed gear box changes, etc, or is it advisable to do so.
If they do need to be advised, what is the procedure? A polite letter or something a little more humbling

I realise that it is necessay to give all the facts to the insurance company

I know I've read this before, but have searched and unable to discover any posts
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Re: Informing DVLA

Post by plastic_orange »

They need to be informed of a change of engine - new number and new cc if different from size on V5. That's all they are interested in.
Just complete the relevant section on the V5 and send it off. However, I'd recommend keeping a photocopy of the original in case things get lost.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
moggyman64
Minor Friendly

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi granneb,

As Pete says it is straight forward. I put a 2ltr engine in mine a few years ago and they were only interested in the new CC and an engine number and I had a new V5 in two weeks. I too kept a copy and sent the V5 recorded delivery aswell.

Regards

Keith
granneb
Minor Friendly

Post by granneb »

plastic_orange wrote:They need to be informed of a change of engine - new number and new cc if different from size on V5. That's all they are interested in.
Just complete the relevant section on the V5 and send it off. However, I'd recommend keeping a photocopy of the original in case things get lost.

Pete
moggyman64 wrote:Hi granneb,

As Pete says it is straight forward. I put a 2ltr engine in mine a few years ago and they were only interested in the new CC and an engine number and I had a new V5 in two weeks. I too kept a copy and sent the V5 recorded delivery aswell.

Regards

Keith

Thanks guys for prompt replies
Doug D'G
Minor Friendly

Post by Doug D'G »

Hi, I have now got a bench seat in my pick up complete with 3 seat belts (plus a 1275cc conversion).

Do I need to tell them that the seating has changed and will I need an engineers report/inspection of some sort?

Cheers,

Doug D'G.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I wouldn't bother, although I can't see 3 being a good fit in a pick up.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

If it says you have X number of seats and it changes you must inform them on the V5. If there is not a number of seats listed... don't worry about it.

DVLA dont request engineers reports, but your insurance co. might.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

DVLA dont request engineers reports, but your insurance co. might.
They have on some occasions - Sadly they don't know what an engineer is, or what the report they want has to show, but that's ok as there's no obligation/requirement to send them one (unless the law has changed!)

If your V5C is incorrect / out of date in any aspect, you are obliged to inform DVLA.

Certain changes may require a vehicle assessment (what used to be called the SVA) where the modifications are quantified on a points basis covering engine, gearbox, axle/s suspension etc . Too many points and you will need to re-register the car (e.g. many parts of mixed ages would get you a Q plate).
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And no more free road tax !!
ImageImage
gilburton
Minor Friendly

Post by gilburton »

If changing the engine DVLA now require an engineers report.
This is just a visual check/statement on headed paper from a garage to confirm the engine/vehicle numbers match your stated change.
I got my local MOT garage to do it for me for free. It's no problem just another hurdle to clear :)
It is NOT a mechanical check!! It used to be the case that all you did was fill in the changes and you got a v5 back but this has now changed. I know I've done it twice on a bike and car.
I think it might apply more if you are fitting a larger engine or changing the ved class.
If you're in no rush while you are modifying the car send off the v5 with the changes and see what happens?
You can save a bit of time by getting this done and sending off the headed paper with your v5 at the same time otherwise it will take app. 6 wks for the process to complete. :)
Beanbox
Minor Friendly

Post by Beanbox »

To change engine CC on the V5 you don't need an engineers report.. A recipt from who you bought the engine from will do :D
I know this as I've just had my V5 back today :D :D :D
gilburton
Minor Friendly

Post by gilburton »

Did you buy the engine from a dealer?? Was the receipt on headed paper?
All I can say is I've had a request twice to provide proof. I didn't have receipts and I was also changing cc to larger and also installing a diesel engine so maybe that was the problem??
Beanbox
Minor Friendly

Post by Beanbox »

gilburton wrote:Did you buy the engine from a dealer?? Was the receipt on headed paper?
All I can say is I've had a request twice to provide proof. I didn't have receipts and I was also changing cc to larger and also installing a diesel engine so maybe that was the problem??

It was on headed paper.. I bought it from a scrapyard they give me the receipt and I sent that off... Mine was also a change of cc to 1998.... took a few weeks but came back all done.... :D :D :D :D
gilburton
Minor Friendly

Post by gilburton »

Ah it was probably the headed paper receipt but we don't all have that if you buy private.