Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morris Mike
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Paying Too Much For Spares.

Post by Morris Mike »

Is it just the season of goodwill that makes people pay over the odds for Morris Minor Spares.

Secondhand indicator arm sold ebay £28.00. New one £25.00 free postage.
Pacel shelf sold ebay £54.00. New one ESM £20.00.

These are just a couple of items I noticed,

I brought a brand new personal DAB radio Buy-It-Now price including postage £28.00.

There were the same items listed by the company but you could bid.

People were bidding for day`s on the same item not knowing if they were to win ,final bids £26.50.
Is it worth it.!!!!
My item arrived by post before the others had stopped bidding.

M.M
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Modified.
Austin 6cwt Van 1972. Teal Blue
Morris Minor Traveller 1961 Original
Austin A30 Van 1956.
Austin A35 Van 1960
What else is lurking behind those open doors.?.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: Paying Too Much For Spares.

Post by POMMReg »

PACEL Shelves are no longer available new, hence the price!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
green123
Minor Fan

Post by green123 »

they are look on esm spares I got one a few moths back from there great as well. I also have noticed the same thing ,cheaper new but thats how some people buy stuff.
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 30b86e18f8
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

That's just the Millboard tray, was the one on ebay complete with angle bar fixing? Newton commercial also sell the shelf itself.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

You may be right regarding the Christmas bidding but people pay what they think the value/worth is TO THEM!!!
Additionally if the part required cannot be found at a reasonable cost and it is keeping the car off the road or holding up a restoration the resistance to pay more is reduced and it will be purchased at an inflated price even if the part is S/H.
Just be thankful we are talking Minor spares; mostly other marques are not so well served and what spares are available could be considered extortionate.

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Plus as we have seen from some posts on here, some new Minor owners are unaware that they can buy most spares new from a variety of suppliers.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

Trouble is,most second hand parts are better than new parts. :evil:
Coalmossian
Minor Fan

Post by Coalmossian »

Re the parcel shelf, You are correct.it is available for £17.85p from ESM. Then there's carriage ( say £5.00p) plus the Vat, coming to a total of £27.33p
If you need the Crashpad kit, supplied by Newton Commercial, that comes in at £25.95p, then you have the carriage and Vat ( say again, £5.00p for carriage) and we have a total for that of £37.14p
Grand total of £63.09p.
The eBay one had both ashtrays and the end fixings as well and looked to be in extremely good condition. Don't think it was a bad deal at all taking everything into consideration, and maybe the person who bought it wanted a little "age-related" patina to match the rest of the car. I was watching it myself, but it went a wee bit higher than I was prepared to pay!
I do know what you mean though about some things. I've seen people bid a higher price for something that the same buyer has as a Buy It Now! Takes all sorts, and it's not always the end of the world if you pay a pound or two over the odds when you see the amounts of money some folk waste!! It's all part of the fun. Think what some folk waste on fags ( sorry smokers!), booze and gambling!
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

People do get carried away when bidding and enjoy the auction format! I seen a minor recently at £1800 buy it now. was on for 7 days no bids, ended. Seller relisted and started the auction at 99p and no reserve and sold for £2281... also yes ive seen second hand spares go for more then new... but again I think a lot of people are unaware you can still buy them new or get carried away with there bids as they have watched it for days in there ebay and want that item! And some second hand used parts are better then some poor quality new items these days. I enjoy and use ebay for a lot of things and think it the best thing ever... my wife runs a Mg metro.. and a lot of parts for it are not available anywhere... then you go on ebay full new rear radius suspension arm in genuine bl box for £20 buy it now.. you just cant go wrong!