Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brandonr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wiper spindle (leaking around)

Post by brandonr »

I am getting a leak from under the wiper spindle on my 1968 saloon. Looks easy - undo the large chrome nut, remove the chrome conical housing, and replace the rubber seal between it and the bodywork. Trouble is, no matter what I do the large chrome nuts (on both sides) will not budge. Soaked in WD40, warmed it, and gave it lots of wellie with a large spanner - no movement.

Is this nut supposed to undo, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Roger.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Wiper spindle (leaking around)

Post by mogbob »

Roger
You are following the workshop instructions no doubt , i.e. "undo the nut ".
Problem is ...it has probably never been moved in 46 years !!

The wheelbox spindle has a couple of rubber spacers, either side of the bodywork, internal and external, cut at an angle for the wiper blades to wipe the screen correctly.There is a seal.The rubber may be perished and if not replaced, a leak may continue.

So the order of problem solving is :- obtain replacement parts first.
Remove retaining nut..either continue heat treatment or if no joy, hacksaw or use a Dremel type drill with a small cutting disc ( protect the windscreen/ bodywork ).Make a couple of cuts or twist a large screwdriver in the cut, to break the grip of the nut on the wheelbox spindle.
If you are doing both sides and you're careful ( with battery disconnected ) you may be able to get away with just dropping the wheelboxes enough, to replace the lower/ internal spacers.
Note that they are likely to be stuck to the shaft.Cut with a sharp knife and clean up the metal before fitting the new spacer.
A wipe of Vaseline on the metal might help it to slip on easily.
Before tightening up the new nuts, put a bit of Coppa ease to assist future removal.

Check out the usual suppliers websites for an exploded diagram of the parts involved, to get you head around the problem.
Temporary fixes with mastic , etc are messy, visually awful and don't always work.
Good luck with it.
Bob
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

these nuts are a pain to remove for the first time,buy two new ones,available from most traders,and just cut through the nut with a small hacksaw.If you try too hard to remove the old you are liable to put too much strain on the spindle,then you will have more trouble,. As for the seals,personally not had much luck with them so made my own out of bicycle tyre inner tubing,a lot thicker and sealed mine up fine.Be carefull when refitting the nuts they are easy to get cross threaded.If you are just doing the seals then no need to disturb anything other than the domed cover,hold the spindle with grips to prevent it falling inside the car untill you are ready to refit them.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

you will probably find the spindle chrome will not budge so will have to be knocked in a tad
brandonr
Minor Friendly

Post by brandonr »

Thanks Guys, that is all very helpful. I'll get the replacement bits lined up before proceeding.
Roger.
brandonr
Minor Friendly

Post by brandonr »

OK, parts on their way from ESM. A lot more WD40 and then left a soldering iron on the nut for 2 hours. That worked and it came off. As suggested by autopickup, I tapped the spindle in to release it from the chrome housing. The washer turned to dust.

Thanks all round.

Roger.