Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
london deep
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Owning a Morris minor without a garage.

Post by london deep »

I am looking at the possibility of owning a Morris Minor,having long been a fan of their design.
However,Would owning a classic car without a garage or cover be a bad idea.?
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Re: Owning a Morris minor without a garage.

Post by The vast minority »

I wouldn't do it but plenty do.
I can't bear the thought of mine even getting wet, only goes out on sunny days.
If you want a car that's a bit rough, it will be fine, if however you want a showy car, deffo not.

That's what I think anyway.
Al
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

You would certainly need a cover, Maisie has lived under a good quality one for the last 18 months and she is fine, but you have to be anal about cleaning and polishing to prevent scratching. It is only a short term solution as I am currently in the process of extending the garage / workshop so she will have a nice home this winter.

The only other thing is security, but there are ways round that such as driveway posts. Its also awkward when you want to work on it, as you are relying on the great bristish weather, but its certainly do able.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I'm afraid my traveller is out in all weathers, my daily driver and as the garage and drive is full of campervans the Morris has to take its chances. So far the wood is standing up to the weather after being treated and the car is water tight, regular washing and waxing keeps the body in the reasonable shape it was when I got it - so yes you can keep it outside as long as you look after it :) As for security a Disclock is a worthwhile investment and acts as a visible deterrent as well as being extremely secure.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

My '70 saloon hasn't known a garage in its life and it's still going strong. Mind you its shabby, it has fibreglass wings and the underneath is a patchwork quilt of welded bits. I wouldn't buy a smart or expensive one unless you can find some decent storage for it. I keep the decent one in the garage.
london deep
Minor Friendly

Post by london deep »

panky wrote:I'm afraid my traveller is out in all weathers, my daily driver and as the garage and drive is full of campervans the Morris has to take its chances. So far the wood is standing up to the weather after being treated and the car is water tight, regular washing and waxing keeps the body in the reasonable shape it was when I got it - so yes you can keep it outside as long as you look after it :) As for security a Disclock is a worthwhile investment and acts as a visible deterrent as well as being extremely secure.
Thanks for the positive...I can understand the panic of a classic getting wet..and I would if the opportunity came have a garage.
But I am also trying to think of a Morris as a "normal" car.So maybe washing,waxing would at least keep it better.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Don't let a bit of wet whether put you off buying one. My car lives outside as well, that's not to say I wouldn't love a garage to put her in but I wouldn't let the lack of a garage prevent me from owning and enjoying a classic car.
As has been said you will need to keep on top of things more and plenty of engine oil / waxoil in all the nooks and crannies is a very good idea.
But then if you don't enjoy fiddling / fettling / problem solving a classic car really isn't for you anyway.
Its horses for courses and it does take all sorts but I prefer a car that I'm not afraid to drive everyday in all weathers, it does mean my cars will never be concourse but I don't aspire to all that anyway.
That said I'm not into the 'rat look' either and enjoy giving her a wash and brush up for club events / the national.
Get a good car, respray her if you need to then enjoy her on a regular basis!
The downside of the show cars is that the owners rarely get the pleasure of driving them, without worrying about getting it messed up. I know one chap with a completely restored MGB roadster who rarely takes it out of the garage 'in case' it rains.
How sad is that!
Sorry but if your afraid to use it, I don't see the point in owning it.
You might as well sell it and buy the wife that new kitchen she's been nagging you for!! :lol:
That said whatever you get I hope you enjoy it.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

My Moggy lives under a carport with the added protection of a Stormforce cover - no problems so far! :wink:

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Our Minor saloon and convertible just live outside all the time and are used daily. Have done for many years. I've never seen any benefit in garaging a car which is used everyday. They've not suffered from rust or any other troubles any more than cars kept in garages. I do think its important to keep them clean and to keep on top of the rustproofing however. Also, it is very important to stop any rainwater leaks as these cars rust from the inside out so water in the floors, structural members, boot floor etc will lead to rusting faster :wink:

The only Minor which I did try to keep garaged during my ownership was the traveller. I don't think they survive quite so well if kept outside and will require a bit more work.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

If your headlight, window, door, boot seals and so on are good I don't think being rained on is too bad. Surely it's getting mud stuck to the underside that'll rot it! That said, my car isn't concours and I don't think I'd leave one of those out!

My Morris has been living under a cover for ~10 months but we'll be moving to a place with a garage shortly. I think the biggest benefit will be the indoor space for me when I'm working on the car as I've gotten quite into tinkering.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

My Traveller is about to lose its garage so I have wax oiled underneath, inside the box sections and the wood has been treated according to Steve Foreman's advice. It is our every day car except for long distance Motorway runs when the modern comes into use. Good luck.
John

Bertie.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Of course you can keep a Minor without a garage. A garage makes life easier for maintenance work in poor weather, and improves security; but my Minors all live outdoors all year round and get used every day. When the cars were built, most homes would not have had a garage. Buy the car and enjoy it. Keep it clean and use it. Do any maintenance work in fine weather.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My Minor van lives outside as the garage has already got two cars in it. As long as you look after the bodywork it should be fine.

Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

Only problem as with any classic car is the doors and windows need to be 100% water tight to protect the interior and electrics.

If the paintwork is sound and all seams properly sealed and the under side undersealed and waxoiled then you will be ok.

london deep
Minor Friendly

Post by london deep »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
Don't let a bit of wet whether put you off buying one. My car lives outside as well, that's not to say I wouldn't love a garage to put her in but I wouldn't let the lack of a garage prevent me from owning and enjoying a classic car.
As has been said you will need to keep on top of things more and plenty of engine oil / waxoil in all the nooks and crannies is a very good idea.
But then if you don't enjoy fiddling / fettling / problem solving a classic car really isn't for you anyway.
Its horses for courses and it does take all sorts but I prefer a car that I'm not afraid to drive everyday in all weathers, it does mean my cars will never be concourse but I don't aspire to all that anyway.
That said I'm not into the 'rat look' either and enjoy giving her a wash and brush up for club events / the national.
Get a good car, respray her if you need to then enjoy her on a regular basis!
The downside of the show cars is that the owners rarely get the pleasure of driving them, without worrying about getting it messed up. I know one chap with a completely restored MGB roadster who rarely takes it out of the garage 'in case' it rains.
How sad is that!
Sorry but if your afraid to use it, I don't see the point in owning it.
You might as well sell it and buy the wife that new kitchen she's been nagging you for!! :lol:
That said whatever you get I hope you enjoy it.Thank you Mike for sharing the same ideals..
I do want the car for the purpose it was made and not a museum piece that I become scared of driving.
Best wishes,
Mike.
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

Hi

Get a car cover!! A good investment! It's a no brainer!

Although my Morrie is driven regularly. I do cover her up when she is just sitting on the drive especially overnight. A decent car cover from Halfords is not expensive mine was £25 and is 100% waterproof but also UV proof so if the sun is beating down on her she is not going to suffer from fading paintwork or a fading hood as mine is a convertible. Rainwater will find the tiniest crack so covering the car will definitely save you hassle in the long run. Besides it makes me feel better that she is all snug and cosy especially in the winter I would be upset to see her getting soaked in the rain or covered in frost! :( She is an old lady you wouldn't leave your grannie out in the rain without a coat on would you?! 8)
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Both my grannies are outside they are buried in a graveyard :D