Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Fitting dipstick in the engine.

Post by amgrave »

After checking the engine oil level when I replace the dipstick back in place it feels a loose fit in the hole and lands with a metallic clonk, it must rattle a bit when driving too although the general noise stops me hearing it. Does anyone know if there should be a rubber washer on the dipstick or a rubber insert in the hole for the stick to rest on.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: Fitting dipstick in the engine.

Post by liammonty »

It depends whether it's a 948 or a 1098, as they are quite different. If it's a 948 though, what you describe is quite normal, as the dipstick rests on the bottom of the sump, and has no sealing washer. On the 1098 there is a dipstick 'tube' mounted in the block, and the dipstick fits more snugly, and doesn't rest on the sump bottom.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Thanks for that answer, I forgot to mention it is a 1098 engine. The metallic clonk is the stick shoulder hitting the hole in the block not the sump. The stick is only an inch longer that the low mark so it should not reach the sump. I have a feeling there should be something in the hole and it's missing.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

You're right - there should be a tube coming out of the block that's perhaps a couple of inches long. There should be a shoulder, well, more like a fixed washer on the dipstick that rests on the top of that tube and prevents the dipstick from going down too far. It sounds like perhaps the tube is missing. I'd make sure you replace it if it is missing, as otherwise I suspect the dipstick is dropping too far down and it will be reading a higher oil level than what is actually in the engine.

Edit - sounds from your description as though the dipstick is correct - it's just the tube in the block that's missing
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Thanks for that. I did wonder if the problem was causing a false oil level reading but did not think it would be by much. I'll source a part and fit it asap to be on the safe side. :oops:

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

If it's any consolation, if your engine's running ok, it doesn't sound like there's any damage been done :)
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

A couple of times when stopped on a slope and dipping the clutch slowed the engine revs a little I have noticed the oil light flicker, giving it a quick rev puts the light out but it worries me a bit and this could be the cause of it. Until I get the part I will shove another pint of oil in the engine for luck. Again, thanks for your answer.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I fit an 11mm ODx 5mm ID grommet on the dipstick as the original rubber seal just sits on top of the dipstick tube. The grommet makes it a nice snug fit. Here's a photo on the 1275 engine that I'm rebuilding.
Regards
Declan

Slide on grommet
[frame]Image[/frame]
Push to seal
[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If running like that I suggest you will be very low on oil - add a pint urgently ! You may of course have a 948 stick in a 1098 engine.....in which case - push a thin rubber washer on the stick to stop it rattling. And next oil change - add just the correct amount. then after running the engine for a short time, and resting it for 5 minutes - check what level is now showing on whatever stick you have. That's your correct MAX. Keep to it!
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

There are at least three different types of dipstick fitted to the in line 'A' Series - at least one of which has a taper sleeve fitted under the metal stop which fits neatly into the taper of the plastic insert.
I have a straight metal dip stick fitted with a loop at its top end (handy for pulling the dip stick out), at the moment cannot remember where or which 'A' Series it came from but certainly not Minor or Midget.
Phil

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Looking at your pictures Declan it seems my stick is sitting a good inch or so too low making the oil level out by quite a bit. Not only is a tube missing from the engine block but a rubber from the stick as well. Thank you for that.
Yes Roy, that's what I was thinking. I will put another pint in for now. I see ESM list a plastic insert so I will order one when I make up an order and reset the high mark as you suggest by filling with the correct amount of oil.
Phil, my stick has the loop and only a short amount under the low mark so I think it's a 1098 one and not for the 948.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Now I'm on a computer and not a 'smart' phone, I can post a picture of what there should be - this image is pinched from the Moss site, and the parts could be yours for around a tenner.[frame]Image[/frame]
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Yup, that looks like the same stick I have got and 67 + 69 missing and it confirms the stick is sitting in the engine lower than it should by at least an inch maybe more so it means I have been running with the oil low all the time :oops:
Thanks all for your replies. I will sort it asap as I don't fancy laying her up for the summer to rebuild the engine :lol:

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Take care when pulling out the dipstick, sometimes it brings the plastic tube along with it and that's how it can get lost.
Gabriel
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Thanks for the warning Gbond, when I get the replacement I will put a bit of goo round it before fitting :wink:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO ghastly goo required! :evil:
ImageImage
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

No, not the gasket sealant type Roy I meant fitting the plastic tube in the block with a drop of StudLok to make sure it won't work loose. Sorry if I upset you :cry: :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:D
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

To be honest with the amount of oil there is there I doubt the StudLoc will help but it won't hurt to try. On some engines the plastic tube is tight and never ever moves so you might get lucky.
Gabriel
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Fitting dipstick in the engine.(solved)

Post by amgrave »

Just received the engine block dipstick tube and when fitted it makes the stick sit about 1 1/4" higher than it was. As I was not aware it was missing it means I have been running the engine with low oil level :oops: Luckily I always keep an eye on the level and topped it up when it went below the high mark.
Thanks everyone for your replies.